TiVo HD dropping frames on HD channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by forgie716, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1 of 32
    forgie716

forgie716 New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Portland,...

Advertisements

I've been noticing more and more often that when I'm watching the Versus HD channel that I see some major frame loss causing very choppy video regardless of if it's live or previously recorded. I've got a friend who has seen the same sort of issue when watching ESPN HD on his own TiVo HD at home. I've noticed that pausing and unpausing sometimes helps a little, but not always. My friend said usually changing the channel away and back or doing a restart seems to fix the issue at the time, but it always eventually comes back another day. Has anyone else had this issue and know of a resolution? Really getting annoying. :mad: Thanks!

2. Jan 3, 2008 #2 of 32
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Did you try it yourself? I have run into issues that are solved by a hard reboot - unplug the power cord. I find myself doing that about once a month or so.

Beyond that you may be having trouble getting a good signal to the TiVo HD on the cable. These things are fairly sensitive.

If you want to get into it yourself, there are diagnostics in the system menu that will show you signal strength and corrected/uncorrected data that people here could elaborate on for you.

Otherwise, having the cable technician come over and thoroughly check your signal quality would be another suggestion.

3. Jan 3, 2008 #3 of 32
    spinjockey

spinjockey New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I've had the same problem and it's definitely not signal strength related, happens live, buffered, or pre-recorded. Happened last night during the Fiesta bowl that I was watching about 20 minute behind live. When I figured it was half-time I did a hard reboot (no stop recording or nothing just simulated power-failure). Getting back to where I was before the reboot I noticed that there were no dropped frames.

So it's definitely recording everything, just dropping frames on the way out. BTW it's hooked up via component so it's not HDMI dropouts. It is an upgrade box with the WD 1tb green drive (though I don't recall issues prior to the upgrade).

4. Jan 3, 2008 #4 of 32
    GumboChief

GumboChief New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    I had this issue (among several others) with my TivoHD.
    Having returned the unit, and replaced it with a Moto 3416, all of my signal issues have gone away.

If the Moto had a better search function, I would be very happy with it.
    Right now, I use the Series2 to browse for movies I want to record, and schedule them on the Moto.

The Moto may be slower than my Series2, but it is still faster than the TivoHD.

5. Jan 3, 2008 #5 of 32
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

I've had this stutter issue develop two or three times since July. A reboot fixed it each time. For me, it seems to occur about once every 6-8 weeks, necessitating a reboot.

It's not clear what the cause is, but I expect Tivo to eliminate it for good in the next software update. For now, you need to do a Settings -> Reboot to eliminate the stutter.

6. Jan 3, 2008 #6 of 32
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It happens to me almost every time I watch sports on the local Fox HD channel.

7. Jan 3, 2008 #7 of 32
    boonie45

boonie45 New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I, also, have this problem with my TivoHD. It seems like it happens about every 2 weeks or so, and it happens on any HD channel. A reboot through the menu works for me each time. When this is happening, other HD channels will sometimes seem to completely freeze up. They are frozen on a frame...then when I leave the channel and then come back, it is frozen on the "current" frame. Strange.

I wonder if it has to do with the playback from the hard drive? I wonder if the hard drive is losing some of its ability to record/playback fast enough. Possibly a new hard drive could fix some of this?

8. Jan 4, 2008 #8 of 32
    forgie716

forgie716 New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Portland,...
    It looks like this is a pretty common issue among us. I wonder how aware TiVo is about this problem and if we can expect a fix or not.

9. Jan 4, 2008 #9 of 32
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It doesn't have anything to do with the hard drive.

It's a glitch that is caused by certain broadcast content, likely due to a bug in the Tivo's video driver.

TiVo is aware of the problem and I would expect a fix with the next software release.

10. dsb411

dsb411 Member

Sep 29, 2004
    North...
    I had the same issue. Rebooting fixed it. Thanks all.

11. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, probably not hard drive related.

Sometimes notice this on my Tivo HD with 1TB upgrade drive.

So far, it is barely noticible here. Just a little barely perceptible jitteriness.
    Sometimes a little more noticeable. I sometimes wonder if it's me or the Tivo. Pausing usually remedies.

12. jaykkub

jaykkub New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    This issue just started happening to me last week. Now it's prett much non-stop on the HD channels I watch. Rebooting doesn't seem to help out either (soft or hard reboot).

Any other suggestions?

13. ilh

ilh New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    This is affecting my TiVo HD too. The past few days I noticed that 720P channels (e.g., FOX HD, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD) exhibited stuttering. This was most evident with text crawls and camera pans being very jumpy. If I watched the SD versions they were perfectly smooth. 1080i channels seemed OK too. Both live TV and recorded content is affected.

After a soft reboot, things seem smooth once again. Content recorded while I was noticing the stuttering seems OK. We'll see how long things last after this reboot. It is quite annoying while it is happening. It certainly appears to be dropping video frames. Audio is unaffected.

I'm currently watching on an SDTV, but I don't think that is relevant.

I sure hope TiVo addresses this issue with a software update. The fact that a soft reboot fixes the problem sure seems to point toward a software problem. I had 0 corrected and 0 uncorrected errors on the diagnostics page while the stuttering was occuring, which would indicate this is not a signal problem. (Also the fact that recordings made during stuttering do not stutter on playback after the reboot.)

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If a reboot doesn't fix the problem, then it is likely a signal issue.

Tune to the channels where you see the problem. Then go to System Information -> Diagnostics. Look at the RS Uncorrected Errors field.

Do you see incrementing RS Uncorrected Errors? If so, then you have a signal issue that needs to be addressed, either by your cable company, or by yourself with an amplifier or attenuator.

15. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    I saw something like this last night while watching The CW HD on my new TiVoHD. I have NEVER seen this on my Series 3. I haven't verified it against the Series 3 because that TV is out until Monday (need to replace the lamp), but I'll check to make sure. I'm amazed at how much better the S3 is than the HD

16. dizziness

dizziness New Member

May 7, 2006
    Same problem here. I panicked since I thought it was the replacement drive. Off to do a hard reboot!

17. JimPa

JimPa S3 owner/user

Oct 25, 2006
    Welcome to digital cable TV.

When the weather gets cold, all those miles of coax get cold too which reduces the resistance and causes the signal to run hotter at the cable box. When the weather warms up, the reverse happens.

With many cable systems this causes pixelization and if it gets bad enough it'll even tile.

I have a couple of different splitters where I can swing the signal strength one way or another to get it back to what the S3 and Motorola boxes like. If you are having this problem and don't have splitters to experiment with, then you need to call your cable service provider.

Other possibilities is poor connections at the outside cable box or an otherwise ragged signal.

18. MisterUCLA

MisterUCLA Member

Mar 31, 2002
    same problem here.

After extended use, the video becomes out of sync and it goes in slow motion while the audio is fine.

Changing the channel, pausing or exiting out of a program fixes it, but it seems to be happening more often lately. Twice already tonight.

Hopefully a fix will be coming out soon.

Eddie

19. PooperScooper

PooperScooper Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Leominster, MA
    Wow, in one way I feel better that I'm not the only one seeing this, but I don't like what I'm now seeing. :) I'm seeing the same issues with 720p stations (Comcast cable) and 1080i and SD is fine. I noticed it watching basketball on ESPN-HD and it's annoying. However, I didn't notice the problem until I installed a new plasma 2 days ago. I went from a 50" Fujistu to a 60" Elite. I'm not done troubleshooting but it appears keep coming back to the TivoHD. However, I didn't see the issue at all on my previous plasma (which I still have and could connect again). I still need to do some more testing. I'm not sure which HD channels I get with a straight run to the TV instead of the TivoHD. That will point to signal issues or not. And I still need to try 720p from a DVD player. I seriously doubt it's any fault of the plasma except maybe being bigger makes it easier to see.

larry

20. Hokie Soup

Hokie Soup New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Washington DC
    Having same issue here .... it must be the cablecard that is causing this, because the Comcast HD box I have in another room does not exhibit these problems. Frustrating :(