TiVo HD drive upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by andyw715, Jun 8, 2011.

1. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I would like to increase the internal capacity of my TiVo HD.
    I currently have it married to an external DVR expander.

I relize that divorcing the external drive removes all recorded content.

Do the applications for the PC allow you to connect both drives to the PC, marry them together, and make a image?

I'd like to explore the 2TB internal upgrade that I've seen mentioned but really don't want to have to TiVoToGo all this programming to my PC.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    In short, no.

There is no known method of copying the shows that were made on a married pair to a single drive, other than transferring them to computer via ttg or similar programs. Any recordings made prior to the coupling of the drives will still be there after the "divorce", and can/will be copied.

3. rgbrooks

rgbrooks New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    I was thinking of replacing the internal 250 GB drive on my series 3 with a 2TB drive. Are the software tools to do this available to us users or is it a closely guarded secret. I know of vendors who have done this successfully, though the limit is supposed to be 1.2 TB.

4. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Everything you need is in this thread.

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Trade secrets, for now, as to how those vendors are doing it. For individuals, the largest capacity of a single drive upgrade, is still about that 1.2TB(or 1.3TB), for the original S3 oled.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Greetings from a little ways up 17.:)

You are going to have to do some of the work.

If you only have 4 MFS partitions on the internal drive and only 2 MFS partitions on the external drive, it might theoretically be possible to hook both drives up to a computer and merge them to a 3rd drive at least as large as the sum of both. Maybe.

Go to http://www.mfslive.org/

Click on Full Guide

Read all of it. More than once.

Then click on the link on the Full Guide front page to the WinMFS Full Guide.

Read it.

Read it again.

Don't be in a huge hurry to pull the trigger on this project, that's how people screw up their TiVos, lose recordings forever, and have to beg or buy a new image.

(you may be able to guess how I happen to know that:))

I'll be happy to try to answer questions that come up.

You can use the free version of TiVo Desktop to copy shows from the TiVo to a computer (provided TWC or whoever hasn't set the no copy flag), and then put a new drive in the TiVo and copy them back when you want to watch them.

Assuming you'll be using a Windows XP or later computer, I recommend as large an NTFS formatted partition as you can manage, maybe even an entire hard drive, to change the default location of the My TiVo Recordings folder to, as FAT32 partitions are limited to a maximum file size of 4GB, and that's not quite big enough for a 2 hour recording at best quality.

7. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Thx unitron. Stay cool!!!

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm only an hour or so north of you, ain't no cool to be had.:)

Let us know how your upgrading goes.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    This answer is correct for the TiVo HD (model 652).
    This answer is also correct (for the S3, model 648)

There is continuing confusion because both models are "Series 3" -- which is actually printed on the front panel of TiVo HD's. So when a poster says they have a Series 3 it isn't always clear which model it is. The 250 GB drive shows it is the S3, not the TiVo HD, but not everyone will pick up on that.