TiVo HD doesn't clear buffer during manual recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Fuzy2K, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Fuzy2K

Fuzy2K New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    I'm having a problem with my TiVo HD not clearing the buffer when I request a manual recording of a live show in progress.

What happens is that when I record, it records not just the show I requested, but the previous show as well, resulting in a 1:00 hour long recording, and stops the show I want to record nowhere near the end of it, causing me to have to extend the show 30 minutes and stop it manually.

I don't want to Clear & Delete if I can help it. Also, I tried to repeat guided setup, to no avail.

I'm using Comcast cable with a single M-Card.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Simple, change the channel and return, then press record, but best to do it during a commercial, if any.

3. Fuzy2K

Fuzy2K New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Would that erase the beginning portion of the show?

4. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    IIRC, my old S1 during a manual record of a program in progress would capture back to the beginning of the program or the last 30 minutes, whichever is shorter and continue recording to the scheduled end time of the program.

However, my Series 3 would capture all the way back to the beginning of the buffer (which sometimes meant into the previous program, and sometimes that was actually longer than 30 minutes) and then record to the scheduled end time of the program. So if you joined a hour program already in progress, you might end up with a one hour and 22 minute program (actually a full program and a fragment)

This was discussed in other threads many years ago and I don't think there is a fix for it.

If you change channels and come back to dump the buffer, you will lose the beginning of the desired program that is already in progess as fuzzy2k stated.

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    What you(op) are describing is normal,

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Does it stop recording before the scheduled end of the program? That is not normal behavior. You might try ensuring that you are at the end of the buffer when you push the record button.

Keeping everything that is in the buffer, including the part from the previous show, is normal behavior.

7. Fuzy2K

Fuzy2K New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    It's normal to keep part of the previous show, but not the entire previous show.

And yes, it ends the recording before the scheduled end (close to the middle through the show), and the resulting recording is 1 hour long instead of the 30 minutes. This is not normal.

8. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...