Tivo HD Does Not Work

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Endorphine, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Endorphine

Endorphine New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Bremerton, WA
    Well here is my Tivo HD story:

Long time Tivo user, three series 2 Tivos. Decided it was time to upgrade one to a Tivo HD box. Called cable company for 2 S-series or 1 M-series cable cards.

Installer shows up the next day with two Motorola M-series cards, says he will not install them in a "competitors" box. Leaves them with me and tells me to call the cable company to activate them.

Call and the cable company is puzzled why the contracted installer would not install them. I get a hold of their technical lead and he helps me activate the cable card. At first I am getting everything, even the pay channels. Over the next 5-10 mins channels start disappearing randomly. I have one channel show up on a higher channel with no sound. The original channel just stays blank, but menus and the guild will show up. After a reboot all the channels come back, but continue to disappear.

Thinking I got a defective Tivo HD, I take it back to the store an get a new one. I call the cable supervisor again and we get the same cable card activated again. The new Tivo exhibits the same channel loss and channel movement as the first. Frustrated I call back and we try the second M-series card that was left with me.

Again, no change. At this point I am quite frustrated and at a loss what is going on. Wave Broadband is going to send a truck out and see if there is anything else they can do.

The Tivo diagnostics menu shows good signal levels in the 82+ range with good SNR 32+.

I also called the Tivo cable card hotline and they said the signal levels are the main cause of loosing channels, and that it should always be above 90+. I just don't understand how the Tivo HD could be so sensitive, and a crappy cable box would have not issues.

I will continue to work with my cable company and Tivo to get this fixed, but I think I made a big mistake switching. Clearly the Tivo with the Cablecards were not ready for your average consumers.

2. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    ARe the cable cards Moto or Scientific Atlanta?

There are some of us in the TiVo Community that are speculating the problem is with Scientific Atlanta Cable Cards. Both S & M cards.

I currently have a TiVo HD, with two Moto S cards. No problesm.

There are some that are speculating that M cards might be a problem as well.

When the truck roll comes out. Have him try 2 S cards... Ask him if he has any Moto cards if you are using Scientific Atlanta cards.

TGC

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    What version of software are you running? You should always force a few updates and reboot to make sure you get the latest software before the installer comes.

4. wgw

wgw Member

May 16, 2007
    My second S3 would not work either until they replaced a defective splitter. But hopefully after they improve your signal strength it will reduce your chances of getting the pixelation and dropouts that so many people are experiencing.

For comparison, my numbers are:
    Signal Strength: 95-100
    SNR: 35-36
    OOB SNR: 18-21

5. Endorphine

Endorphine New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Bremerton, WA
    Thanks for the tip, they are both brand new Motorola M-Series cards.

The funny thing is that they weren't even aware they had any M-Series cards out in the field. I'm on a privately owned cable company, Wave Broadband located in Washington State. They buy up old cable systems and upgrade them.

Their lead tech is actually glad I called in, and is working with me to get this issue fixed. He is their main cable card point person, and said he worked on 7-10 cable card issues last week. I guess they just got in some new Motorola cable boxes in that have M-Series cable cards in them. I guess this is the first Tivo HD that he has worked on, and said they are going to need to buy one for test at their office.

6. Endorphine

Endorphine New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Bremerton, WA
    Right now I'm running the latest 8.1 v C, and had the updates all installed before the cards were put in. On the first box I even had the 9.1 upgrade pushed to it and it made it even worse. I just hope Tivo gets 9.1 bugs on channel loss figured out before the release it to everyone.

7. guitar7272

guitar7272 New Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I had the same problem you are experiencing and I eventually lost every channel above 24 on the second tuner. Optimum sent out a truck who determined that the signal strength was too low since the original wiring in the house was outdated (it was installed when Optimum/cablevision first came to town 20 or so years ago). They had to rewire my entire house, but it was free and now everything works perfectly. I was quite frustrated as a long time series 2 user, but now that it works, I love my HD tivo...