Tivo HD died yesterday ...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by johng, Dec 4, 2017.

1. johng

johng New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

I've had my Tivo Series 3 HD for a long time and just yesterday it started not responding to the remote. The yellow light would flash sometimes, and sometimes the tivo would do something, many times it did nothing. If I tried to scroll with the down arrow it would just go to the end of the list. Couldn't go down one item at a time, so basically it's hard to make anything useful work.

I'm guessing this is a sign the hard drive has failed? Any ideas?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Bad power supply is a common issue and need to check or replace the capacitors.

3. johng

johng New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    The power supply issue would cause the symptoms I'm seeing with the remote being flaky (and I know it's not the remote as I have multiple remotes, and they work all work on my 2nd HD Tivo that is in another room). Is it more likely power supply vs hard drive?

4. johng

johng New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Actually I guess I could just take the power supply out of my other Tivo HD and swap it into the failing one to see if it fixes the issue.

5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

IIRC, OLED S3 and TiVo HD have different power supplies, so they aren't a direct swap.

(that's how I read the original post anyway)

6. johng

johng New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Well the good news is I took the power supply out of my good Tivo HD and put in the one that started failing yesterday and now it works, so the issue is the power supply. Anyone else that has a remote that turns flakey this is probably your issue. I'll order the caps tonight from amazon and should have them in a 2 days via Prime.