TiVo HD Cooling options?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rbenotti, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1 of 19
    rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    My TiVo seems to hover around 43 Celcius (not bad compared to my old Series 2). What I'm wondering is - can the fan be upgraded and is there anywhere inside to put a second fan for additional cooling?

Anyone know what size the exhaust fan is and what CFM it is passing through?

Thanks!

2. Oct 3, 2011 #2 of 19
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No need for additional cooling. 43C is a more than adequate temperature. My girlfriends S3 boxes have been running around 50C since I gave them to her when I got my Premieres 1.5 years ago. And that temp is still in the normal range.

3. Oct 3, 2011 #3 of 19
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The stock Tivo HD fan is 70 x 70mm x 25mm(thickness)

IMO, it is probably going to be very difficult to find a drop in replacement fan that out performs the stock Tivo fan, all things considered(noise, air flow, durability/reliability).

"Exact replacement fan for some Tivo units. Made by Cofan."
    Note: Link is only for the purpose of fan performance specifications. You can probably get this fan from weaknees.com for a lower total price($20).

http://www.allspectrum.com/store/12....html?osCsid=7e39f621b8143da9bceebeb6577c4497

That said, I've been looking around myself and found this fan at newegg.com. Moves a bit more air. Said to be very quiet(read all reviews there pertaining to Tivo use). Can't comment on the longevity though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119040

For the price, might be worth a try.

Now, if you don't consider the noise factor, there are almost surely fans out there that can move considerably more air, albeit much louder, and probably much shorter life span.

4. Oct 3, 2011 #4 of 19
    rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Thanks. Yeah that's what I figured. My last TiVo was ok when it was around 43 celcius, but in the summer when it was hotter (47-50 degrees) it tended to crash the OS (drives never failed in the sense they failed diagnostics, but the unit would crash).

Thanks for the info dwit! I think I have to 70mm fans and for the heck of it may just open the box and see. Not sure if they are 25mm deep though. Going to check those specs.

5. Oct 3, 2011 #5 of 19
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Of course, the fan can probably be less than 25mm thick. Mounting screws may become a factor, and my guess is a thinner fan probably will not move as much air or last as long, all things considered.

6. Oct 3, 2011 #6 of 19
    A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Do S3 HDs have ventilation holes in the bottom of the chassis? If so, you could put one of those USB powered laptop coolers underneath for increased airflow. Just power it w/one of the HD's USB ports.

7. Oct 3, 2011 #7 of 19
    rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Will have a look later and see. Good ideas all around.

Heat kills everything!

8. Oct 3, 2011 #8 of 19
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's a great idea except that I don't think those laptop coolers are intended to run 24/7, and I have read of others who tried this method and had the coolers die in a few months.

9. Oct 3, 2011 #9 of 19
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've never replaced the original fan, but I re-lube them.

What I have done is add fans specifically to blow on the hard drive.

Find me a link to pictures of the inside of your model with the drive removed and I'll be able to make recommendations on fan and placement.

10. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Once when I had my HD open I saw that the fan wasn't running. It worked, but it wasn't running. So I hot-wired it to run 24/7 and my Tivo is consistently in the low 30's, with the house at 75F with the A/C on. High 20's when the weather cools down after summer and the house is in the 60's..

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The reason the fan plugs onto the motherboard instead of the power supply is so that the motherboard can turn it on when the temperature sensor on the motherboard decides active cooling is needed.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I would say the first line of attack is to make sure the TiVo is situated in a good environment before I try to modify it to enhance cooling. If it is in an enclosed cabinet, make sure the cabinet has good - preferably active - ventilation. If practical, place the TiVo as low in the equipment stack as possible. Do not block the vent holes, and if the unit is set on a pad or cloth for vibration control, make sure the pad or cloth does not impede airflow. Tight, vertically exhausted cowlings can help. Adding a fan to the cabinet or shelf may help more than adding cooling to the TiVo itself, with the added benefit of keeping other components cooler, as well.

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can also get some stick-on rubber feet taller than the ones that come on the TiVo to raise its bottom further up in the air to make it easier for thermal convection and/or the fan to draw air in through the holes in the bottom.

I grabbed a (I hope) lifetime supply from Big Lots just for that purpose.

14. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Yes, I know. But I like my electronics to run as cool as possible. Call me old-fashioned. ;)

15. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Something indeed must have been wrong with the motherboard, connectors, etc.

As far as I have been able to find out, the fan in the Tivo should always be spinning.

16. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    FWIW, my S3 has been in an enclosed cabinet since I bought it on the original lifetime transfer "deal"...but I use a section of racecar brake cooling duct (like a slightly smaller dryer duct) to port out of the back of the cabinet and it hasn't died yet. /knocks on wood/

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Of course if the fan runs full speed all the time it's drawing maximum current all the time which means the power supply generates more heat.:)

Judging by the reviews from TiVo owners of this product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119040

the TiVo uses Pulse Width Modulation to run the fan at different speeds depending on how much airflow is needed at any given time.

18. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Technicalities, technicalities. :)

I'll take the extra cooling vs. the miniscule amount of power the fan uses running 24/7 compared to the power used by the hard drive and the rest of the electronics onboard.

19. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Hey, why not go all out and get one of those liquid cooled CPU fans to stick on your hard drive? Might have to run an aux power supply for the fan and bang out the case a little to provide clearance....