TiVo HD Connection Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Sbmocp, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001

Advertisements

I have a new TiVo HD and it's connected to my pre/pro via HDMI cable. Every once in a while I'd like to simply turn on the TV and watch without firing up the entire system.

My plasma has extra HDMI inputs and a component input as well. Is ther such a thing as an HDMI splitter? If I hooked the HD up via component, is there a possibility that I either wouldn't get full resolution, or that some material wouldn't play out the component jacks?

Just curious, as I'd have to order a new set of component cables if I went that direction...

2. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    There are HDMI splitters, but sometimes things get wacky with the DRM aspects when using them. Were I in your position (and I am, sort of), I'd hook the component cables up to the TV and swap inputs using the TV. All the outputs on a Tivo are "live" all the time, and AFAIK you don't lose any resolution on component vs HDMI. All HDMI does is give you one cable instead of 5 and handles the ever popular DRM

3. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001
    tiassa, thanks for the info. I know that some devices will cut off their component outputs depending on DRM, so I didn't know if that might happen on the TiVo. Sounds like a hole in the DRM to me... :D

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Depending on the TV if the HDMI looks active to the TiVo-HD the other outputs will not work (thanks to DRM). So if you change inputs on your TV and the TV keeps the HDMI active you will only see a message on the other outputs, if the TV turns off the HDMI when it's on a different input you should be OK.

5. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001

Advertisements

Hmmm...in my case the HDMI would be connected to the pre/pro, which would likely be powered off, when I'd want to just watch the TiVo on the TV. It looks like I'll need to experiment a bit to see what the outcomes would be. Thanks for the additional insight.