Tivo HD & Comcast OnDemand, Etc...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nitebreede, Sep 16, 2007.

1. nitebreede

nitebreede New Member

Feb 25, 2006

Advertisements

Hi there. I've been searching high and low for the answer to my question, but I came up with nothing. So I apologize if the answer is somewhere out there, but I could use some guidance from the community experts.

I have 2 DirectTivos that have been modified to allow HMO. I've moved and am now considering upgrading to the new HD Tivo using Comcast's service - it's quite inexpensive.

I hear rumor that the ondemand Comcast features will not work. Is this true? Are there any other shortcomings I should be aware of before I make that leap? Aside from the HMO feature that won't be available until November...

Looking forward to your response.

- Joey

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    It's not a rumor. It's never been anything but clearly stated since way before the units hit the market that ondemand does not work with cable cards - not just HD Tivos

3. jayfest

jayfest Not-so-New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    New Jersey
    ...and contrary to someone's remark elsewhere on this forum, Unbox does not come even close to replacing the OnDemand service. Unbox DOES make an approximation of the PPV service in terms of current movies (and NBC shows like The Office, which cost 99c/ep OnDemand), but, at least in my area, OnDemand offers many FREE items, including non-current-cycle movies (at one point I noticed all 6 Star Wars movies on there at the same time, and at another point I noticed more than 15 James Bond movies on there at the same time - all free), current TV show episodes like CSI, The Closer, Mad Men, Without A Trace and others, classic TV show episodes like Soap, and a ton of other stuff. What's more, if you have premium channels like HBO or Showtime, you get pretty much ALL of their movies, specials and series on Demand for no extra charge.
    Now, I think the OnDemand interface sucks and sometimes the service has some problems like freezing or pixilating, but it's still a valuable extra, which makes me in no rush to trade in my cable box, even if I ever decide to get a HD TiVo. It's probably a big point in favor of waiting for the TiVo option on Comcast's own DVR, IMHO.

4. nitebreede

nitebreede New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Thank you for your feedback. I think I've decided to to ahead with the purchase of the HD Tivo. I really want the OnDemand features too, so I think I shall split the cable line and have one go to the Tivo and the other to a cable box on a separate tv input for when I absolutely have to have the OnDemand service.

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

With only a few exceptions, OnDemand really is something you can forget about entirely if you get your season passes all configured (and have enough tuners to deal with conflicts). Though I think there's no really good reason not to also have a regular decoder box that can receive such things.

6. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I totally agree. I would watch something OnDemand probably once a week, when I was bored or looking for something in particular. The movie selection was B quality at best, having Planet Earth on demand was incredible, but as soon as it came out on BluRay and HDDVD it was slim pickins, so I bought the discs. Now I don't miss it one bit, if you need a movie fix, set up a few or a bunch of wishlists based on actors/directors you like and your Tivo will always be brimming with new stuff...

7. jayfest

jayfest Not-so-New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    New Jersey
    I must admit that I didn't watch OnDemand that much myself until my DVR starting filling up. Then I realized I could stop recording the HBO & Showtime specials and series eps, as well as some of the CBS shows and The Closer. If you're always able to keep up with your recorded shows, this obviously wouldn't be as much of a factor for you.