TiVo HD Comcast Nightmare

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lavinah, Aug 6, 2007.

1. lavinah

lavinah New Member

Aug 6, 2007

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I've been dealing with the morons at Comcast tech support since Thursday for my new TiVo HD and two cable cards. Seems like no matter what they do, I can only get basic channels - local and HD versions.

It WAS working... and some dolt manager decided to try to turn on HBO (as compensation) and all my other channels went away. I could care less about HBO.

I've called Comcast 22 times since Thursday. Their 'cable card expert technicians' haven't called me back (from their 4hr window on SATURDAY), but instead just send an automated response saying my issue is fixed, when it's not.

Comcast Chicago, Il. I've escalated it to everyone from the mountain top.

Can anyone assist here? What I need to have Comcast do, specifically? At this point, they'll pretty much do whatever I tell them, but... I don't know what to have them do to get this resolved.

Things tried:
    Reinitialzing the card(s)
    Hitting the card(s)
    swapping the card(s)
    numerous reboots
    deleting both cards and reinstalling them

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    The time I had problems with comcast I wrote a letter to the CEO. I had a call a few days later by some one in the higher ups that took care of the problem.

Mr. Brian Roberts
    CEO Comcast
    1500 Market Street
    Philadelphia, Pa

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    First check the screen called Conditional Access Menu for both cards. It should read:

Encryption: DES
    Connect: yes, EnabledByCP: yes
    Auth: SUBSCRIBED
    CA enable: possible
    Host Validation: VALID (with a number)
    Copy Protection Key: Enabled

If it says that for both cards, the Validation hit by comcast was OK (card started and paired properly), meaning the second hit (authorization or initiation) is wrong. It is the second hit that determines which channels you are authorized to get.

This is something that you should be able to have corrected over the phone by calling Comcast and requesting a new 'authorization" hit. I had a similar problem when I added HBO, and had to call 3 times before I found someone who knew how to do it.

By the way, I found that it is better to not describe the problem initially as a cablecard problem, but just navigate thru the menu maze indicating you want to upgrade your service, then when you get to a "live" person, tell them your authorization is wrong.

4. lavinah

lavinah New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Ok, finally got it fixed and learned a LOT on the way.

Mostly, Comcast technical support is UNABLE to resolve cable card issues. You need to speak to the people installers speak to on the phone, which is a different department that you cannot call directly.

Word to the wise.