TiVo HD can't record HD Comcast Sports Net

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mossback, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Mossback

Mossback New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Frisco Bay Area
    For two days in a row, my new TiVo HD has been unable to record a baseball game on Comcast Sports Net Bay Area in HD. The first time, it tried to record for the full 3.5 hrs I had the Wish List setup for, but didn't decode anything. It simply created an empty file that it automatically deleted at the end of the game. The history said there was nothing happening on the channel. So I wrote that off to a last-minute guide change.

But the second time, I caught it in the act. Two hours into the game, TiVo had been trying to decode the program, and wrote nothing to the disk. So I stopped it. Going back to live TV, the game was perfectly viewable and recordable from that point on.

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that games on Comcast Sports Net's HD channel don't start exactly on time; sometimes you get a few seconds of dead air before you get any programming, and when the programming starts the TiVo can't decode the stream. But that's just a theory.

This is a new TiVo HD with the WD expander and one M-Card from Comcast.

2. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "decoding" - besides what the CableCARDS do with the digital signal, but ...

That is odd, indeed. It might be some implementation of the CCI flag which governs how/if programming can be copied or recorded. I'm guessing that the ballgame has an 0x03 flag since you noticed it 2 hours into the game.

From http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/programguidesandchannels/Questions_About_Copy_Protection.html#Digital%20Signal%20Copy%20Protection%20Policies%20for%20Series3%20and%20TiVo%20HD%20DVRs

0x03 - Copy Never - the content can be recorded and viewed for 90 minutes after transmission, and is not transferrable. Content disappears from the Now Playing list after 90 minutes.

If you happen to be watching another game live, take a look at the Diagnostics screen for the channel and note the CCI byte value.

3. Mossback

Mossback New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Frisco Bay Area
    Right, decoding isn't the right word because that only happens when the program is rendered. What I meant to say is that when TiVo tries to record a channel that's only got dead air, it doesn't notice when the dead air is replaced by actual programming. That happens on the HD channel for Comcast or Fox Sports Net's regional networks all the time. Somebody has to throw a switch to start the HD progamming, and they're often a few seconds late. I'm willing to bet that a minute of negative padding would make this problem go away.