Tivo Hd (Canada)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by reidjr, Jul 18, 2009.

1. reidjr

reidjr New Member

Nov 10, 2006

Advertisements

I know you can't record hd as we don't have the cable card system here.But would it work the tivo its self or not.

2. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Go to digitalhome.ca/forum and do a search on TiVo.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, it will work the same on cable or antenna as it does in the US. For cable, that means analog and unencrypted QAM channels (if you are lucky to get them), with no guide data for the latter. For antenna, the same for analog, an digital provided you receiver ATSC broadcasts and get guide data for it.

4. reidjr

reidjr New Member

Nov 10, 2006
    If i am correct it can't record hd due to we don't have cablecard is that right.

5. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA

Advertisements

TiVo can record unscrambled QAM HD manually and OTA HD normally without a CableCARD. Do you know what you have access to?

6. reidjr

reidjr New Member

Nov 10, 2006
    I am with rogers cable i don't have ota.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you are in Toronto or Ottawa you can get some HD OTA, moreso for Toronto, which has quite a bit in Toronto, and can get Buffalo rather easy.

If you want a TiVo that has full access to digital cable channels, you need a Series 2 and a cable box. Yes, it will be SD only, and for a Series 2 DT, be single tuner for digital channels.

8. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA