Tivo HD, Cablecard, and Cablevision IO question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jaguaraja, Nov 25, 2007.

1. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Long Island

Advertisements

I currently have Cablevision's Family Cable package
    I am planning on getting a Tivo HD with two cablecards.

My question is whether I need to upgrade to an IO package to view/record HD programming or can I stay at the Family Cable level? If I look at the channel listing that falls under Family Cable is has all the SD and HD channels I want. I don't want to unnecessarily upgrade to IO for $10.95/month.

2. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    You're probably going to need to ask Cablevision, unless someone here is particularly familiar with their setup - but it varies by area, so unless they live in your town, don't take it as a sure thing.

All you need to ask them is whether the Family Tier of programming receives the HD channels, or if you'd need to buy a higher tier of programming. They don't need to know you're using a TiVo or what, its just a programming question.

3. ucliker

ucliker Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I grew up in NY and i would second what was mentioned before, just talk to them. They might even be able to add the features you want without changing your package.

4. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Long Island
    i have trust issues with cablevision. last i spoke with them the CS rep said that i can only view HD with an IO level package, but alas I can view HD channels without IO under just any level package under QAM.

anyway, i will give it a try

5. beady

beady New Member

Oct 30, 2006
    LI, NY

Advertisements

You don't need the IO package. I had CV with just family and I got all the locals, ESPN HD, the voom package, etc. The only HD channels I didn't get were the Golf Channel and National Geographic HD. You need IO for those. I recently added a couple of movie channels but I still did not get IO.

6. Lensman

Lensman Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Hoboken, NJ...
    I had the same experience as beady, but in New Jersey.

One gotcha for me was that Cablevision screwed me by removing the Triple Play Discount when I returned their box and got Cablecards. Apparently, I needed either IO or a Cablevision-provided set top box in order to qualify for the Triple Play discount. The phone rep said I just need to rent the box and keep it around the house but that I didn't actually need to use it.

7. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    Its not a bad rule of thumb with a big company like that to call 2 or 3 times and make sure you get a consistent answer. If it varies, ask for a supervisor.

If you'd rather use the internet, by all means, but you may wish to find a Cablevision forum, say at broadbandreports.com and mention your location. Anything you get on here may apply elsewhere, but perhaps not to you, and won't be much more reliable than the first CSR you talk to.

8. leeherman

leeherman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm a Cablevision customer on Long Island.

You don't need cable cards to view HD programming, but you do need them if you want to view premium or digital channels. In other words, you'll be able to view HD network programming but premium stuff like HBO, TMC, Showtime and Cinemax is out as is all the "100" level channels and Speed Channel.

I connected my new S3 direct to cable prior to getting my CCs and I was able to view HD network programming.

Regards,

LH

9. Dec 5, 2007 #9 of 14
    wjohna

wjohna New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Does anyone here have experience trying to get a TiVo HD unit to work on a Cablevision system? I want to know if it's worth the upgrade to the HD right now. It seems like there are quite a few reports of bugs with the HD setup. I'm also interested in how cooperative Cablevision is in helping customers out with problems with these HD units.

10. Lensman

Lensman Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Hoboken, NJ...
    What kind of bugs? I've had an S3 since June and haven't had any problems other than the shady billing issue about my triple play discount.

11. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I have used S3s and a TiVo HD on Cablevision's network without encountering any problems.

12. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have had my S3 since late Sept. with Cablevision CableCards and it has worked flawlessly. Only issue was that Scientific-Atlanta sent CV a bad batch of CC's and I needed a revisit to install the replacements.

You'll enjoy watching shows in HD and if your sound system is compatible with Dolby Digital, then the sound it awesome.

13. jon01

jon01 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    long...
    i have the tivo hd and cablevision (long island) and it works, kinda. cc's mess up a lot so i have to re-run the guided setup. had a cablevision tech over and he said theres a server down or something and theres nothing he can do. it's gotten better recently, but still not 100%. its still better then their DVR imo.

- Jon

14. leeherman

leeherman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I have an S3 with two CCs and Cablevision on LI. I went through a week or two of reseating the cards, rebooting the Tivo, and presumably updates to the CCs from Cablevision. During that period I'd have missing channels, one card dropping out alltogether (usually #2), and occasional A/V glitches.

Never had a tech come back during that period but I did call support twice for them to reset the CCs on their end.

At this point all appears to be stable.

LH