Tivo HD + Brooklyn + TW Cable = only OTA channels. Can someone help me?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by arainert, Aug 9, 2007.

1. arainert

arainert New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Hi everyone,

So I finally got Time Warner to come install the 2 cable cards in my new Tivo HD and while it seems as though the cards are up and running properly, I am seemingly only getting local/OTA channels (2-CBS, though not 3-TNT, no ESPN, no MTV, no Bravo, etc... - i.e. it seems like I'm not getting anything I couldn't get with a radio shack antenna)

So I worked with the Time Warner Cable technician for about 90 minutes and he said he'd done all he could do and that this was a Time Warner IT issue that I would need to take up over the phone. Naturally, when I called them, they said they'd need to send another technician, which I find hard to believe.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's anything I can do or ask the Time Warner folks to do over the phone to try and get this moving.

- is this something that just takes time as the channels "download" or something?
    - can I ask Time Warner to do anything over the phone?
    - can I do anything via the TiVo hardware? Redoing Guided Setup doesn't seem to work
    - can I reinstall the Cable cards somehow or do I need a Tech here for that?

I want nothing more than to bask in the glory of my new Tivo Box and any advice that would help get me there would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

alex

2. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    It sounds to me the cards are working but not activated so they are providing the data needed to map channels but are not authorized so you are only getting unscrambled channels.

3. arainert

arainert New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks for the tip, I think you're onto something.

I worked with TWC late into the night and it seemed as though they hadn't transferred me from my cable box based D Best package to the more a la carte cable card setup. All is not fixed though.

Cable Card 2 seems to be firing on all cylinders. ECM count is going up etc...

Cable Card 1 though has no ECM movement at all.

What this is resulting in is that everything works great when I want to simply WATCH one thing but if I want to WATCH AND RECORD (since it calls on both cards), I get a black screen for one of them (I'm going to assume that's CC #1) so I don't know what I can do or ask TWC cable to do.

Have you seen this before? Any further thoughts?

I really appreciate your help,

a

4. jbaum

jbaum Member

Jul 23, 2002
    How did you to get the right person at TWC? I just replaced by dead series 3 and a new one and switched the cards. I get all the non premium channels, but the premium one say I need to be authorized.

The CSR kept complaining about cablecards and said he needs to send someone out. How do I get the existing cards reauthorized? I know they work.