Tivo HD - Brief Audio Drops

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by PSUMattDE, Aug 29, 2007.

1. PSUMattDE

PSUMattDE New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    I have a TivoHD with 2 Moto cable cards through FIOS TV.

So far, things have been great - no pixellation - however I've noticed a handful of audio drops when watching shows (live and taped).

For instance, last evening I watched a recorded program off of MTV - probably had 3 or 4 one second drops in the half-hour program.

I've seen some posts here and there regarding this - but wondered if it's a bug with Tivo, or something else.

I have the Tivo connected via HDMI to the TV - and via optical cable to my Sony receiver.

Thanks for any input.

2. vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    I have a similar issue. I also have an issue where sound is absent for the first 15 seconds of almost all I record. I am hoping this is resolved with the next update that fixes other issues with SA cards. Time will tell. I am with COX in Fairfax until FIOS comes knocking on the door.

3. PSUMattDE

PSUMattDE New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    So noone else is seeing any brief audio drops???

It's still happening....

4. Televisionary

Televisionary Member

Oct 24, 2000
    New...
    I'm getting them with my new S3. Once or twice a day.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I haven't noticed anything that frequent. I might get one or two drops in several hours of viewing.

6. garryj

garryj New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    I get them too, at random. When it happens, each dropout is about a second or less, but they always come in groups. This "audio dropout group session" can be as short as two or three dropouts, or it can last for a couple of minutes. After a group has done its thing, another may not show up for hours. When replayed, the dropouts appear at different spots, so it's not in the recorded stream.

When it starts, if I pause the program for half a minute or so, it appears to mitigate the problem. It's like my TiVo is experiencing occasional "audio sync seizures" :confused:

The behavior definately suggest a software issue (IMO).

TiVoHD
    HDMI to TV for video
    Optical audio direct to A/V receiver
    Two Motorola "S" cablecards.

It used to have minor "video pixilization issues" (never at the same time as the audio dropouts), but the latest software update appears to have fixed that issue for me.

7. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    My new S3 has been perfect up until tonight, when we watched 3 hourlong HD/DD5.1 shows and experienced brief, tenth-of-a-second dropouts in each one. Maybe a half dozen for each show.

These shows were all from different OTA channels (just OTA, no cable cards of any kind) and on different nights, so I'm thinking one of two possibilities:

1. The very recent (yesterday or day before) update to 9.1

2. That our S3 has just hit the limit of the hard drive, with maybe 10-12 shows "Now Playing" and 16-20 in the Deleted folder. I didn't think Linux suffered from disk fragmentation? And if the drives are fragmented, why just audio dropouts and not video glitches (video still perfect).

Before we watch again, I'm going to methodically "Permanently Delete" all old shows but that shouldn't be any benefit to shows already recorded (though as I type this it occurs to me we have 4 shows recorded well before this problem showed up so if it's about fragmentation those should play perfectly?).

They are minor glitches for sure, but annoying nonetheless. Any other ideas?