Tivo HD Boot Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Thunderclap, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I did a factory restore on my Tivo HD and after about an hour the system reboot. But now it hangs on "Almost there. Just a few minutes more." indefinitely. I've tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable and cycling the power (left it off for several hours) but that didn't work.

Any suggestions?

2. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Well what immediately comes to mind is.........."Why did you do a restore?"

Were you experiencing issues with your Tivo?

If so, it appears your HD was crapping out and your attempt to do a system restore killed it.

Time to ge a replacement drive would be my suggestion. They're relatively cheap.

3. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I did a restore because I bought a Premiere and was planning on selling/gifting the TiVo HD. Didn't want any of my programs or settings on it.

4. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Well if you disconnected everything BEFORE doing the reset then you likely have a hardware issue.

Whether it's the HD, mobo, power supply or cabling issue, it would need to be diagnosed by one of the professional services out there.

Sorry! Good luck.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I assume by "factory restore" you mean a "Clear & delete everything". You might try running kickstart 54 and see if you get any errors.

If it wasn't a "Clear & delete everything", what exactly did you do?

6. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    It was a "Clear & delete everything". I'll try the kickstart code and see what happens.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Do you have anything else connected to the TiVo? Like a TA? Is the CableCARD still installed? If so, remove it.

8. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    Okay... I've run a few tests with Kickstart. Hard drive is fine according to the tests. Since the Tivo powers up and boots I assume that stuff is on a RAM chip somewhere, and not the hard drive. (I could be wrong here.) So I figured downloading the latest software from a Tivo server was the best bet. So I tried running that open and I keep getting "Error: Bad Connection." This is using the ethernet plug, and I've tried going through the router and the plugging directly into the modem. Nada. I checked the back of the Tivo and the ethernet lights are lighting up so I assume the plug is working fine. Also tried a different ethernet cable. So I'm wondering if there was a glitch in the downloading of the software initially and can't load because of that?

Now I have to figure out a way of doing that.

9. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    No. The cable card is out. The only thing connected right now is the power cable and the HDMI cable.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Eliminate the HDMI. Use component or composite. C&DE and then KS 58.

And then open it up and look at the power supply caps.

11. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    Tried that and it didn't work. However, I did manage to finally get it going but after a lot of hair pulling and $40 spent.

First I thought using Instantcake would make it, well... a piece of cake. Nope. No matter what I tried I couldn't get the boot CD to recognize my CD-ROM after it loaded the Linux software nor would it see the SATA Tivo drive.. I tried various suggestions such as changing my BIOS AHCI to IDE, changing SATA to Legacy mode... nothing. Either it didn't see the drive or when registering it as an IDE drive it would give me an error and not mount.

So then I tried MFSLive 1.4 but that wouldn't even boot. It took me several hours of troubleshooting to finally try version 1.3b. That worked. However, once booted it had the same issues as Instantcake.

So I finally got MFSLive to boot from a USB thumb drive, and then I mounted the Tivo drive in a SATA dock and managed to manually get the Tivo image provided in Instantcake transferred.

Once that was done, I hooked up the Tivo and it booted. No problems. Three days of headache, but I'm happy to report it now works.