Tivo HD baffling ethernet problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by urungus, Oct 21, 2007.

1. urungus

urungus New Member

Aug 17, 2002

Advertisements

I'm having some issues with the ethernet port on my new TiVo HD.

I have a Westell 327 DSL router in the garage.

As I test, I opened the garage door and ran a store-bought 50 foot ethernet cable between the new TiVo and the router. Worked fine.

Next, I drilled a small hole to pass the ethernet cable through the wall. Had to cut off the connector on one end to minimize the size of hole. Crimped on a new rj45 connector and connected it to the router.

Now the TiVo doesn't recognize the network connection. Every 20-30 seconds, the green ethernet light on the TiVo's back panel will come on for 1-2 seconds but it never stays lit. The yellow ethernet (data) light sometimes flashes on and off during the brief 1-2 second connections.

I double checked the wiring on the new connector I crimped, it is in the correct order. I also unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of my TiVo and connected it to a PC, which had no problem using the cable to access the internet.

Tried another cable and it was the same story -- worked fine in a trial run, but when I cut off one connector to pass it through the wall, the TiVo didn't like the new cable with the crimped-on connector. PC again had no problems.

What's going on here? I am baffled. Is it an issue having a premade molded connector on one end of the cable and a crimped on clear plastic connector on the other? Why is my PC OK with the cable, but my not my TiVo? Is 50 feet pushing it?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    There are 4 (or more) different ways the connector can be wired, are you wiring it the same as the molded connector you are taking apart?

Better yet use a wall connector Category 5e Jack. 50ft should be no problem for cat5e as long as you do not run the cable over electronic noise generators like florescent lights.

3. robm15

robm15 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That is an interesting problem. My first question is if your crimped jack wires are in the same order as the original cable connector, or are you putting it together per instructions from a crimp tool kit. I ask because if your not matching the orginal crimped connector, you may be changing from a straight through cable to a cross over cable connection, or visa-versa. The PC ethernet adapter is probably intelligent enough to determine the difference and auto-correct, but the Tivo ethernet adapter may not.

4. urungus

urungus New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Thanks for the replies, you guys were right, I miswired the new crimped jack even though I was trying to copy the jack I has just cut off.

Silly me, I thought the wires were in a strict sequence of color1, color1 & white, color2, color2 & white, etc.

Turns out the blue & white, and green & white, wires should be swapped.

Everything running fine now :D :D