Tivo HD Audio Dropouts

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pusta, Sep 16, 2007.

1. pusta

pusta New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue:

With the latest "c" update for my Tivo HD, my pixelation and random audio dropouts while watching tv are gone. However, a new audio dropout problem has surfaced. When I open and browse the guide, and change on the guide screen (page up/page down, arrow up/arrow down, etc), causes the audio to go dropout for 1-2 seconds, then come back on. I can consistently reproduce this by just opening and browsing the guide. I checked the signal strength for various channels, and the lowest I've seen is 93%. It almost seems as if the Tivo is trying to process information, and sacrifices the audio in the process. Anyone else have this issue?

Tivo HD with 2 Motorola Comcast cablecards in Boston, MA

2. pusta

pusta New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Also, (if this makes sense) the audio dropout is different than I've experienced before. Pre-update "c", when the audio would drop out, it would cause my Onkyo receiver to click as it re-established the sound, now it's as if someone just hit the mute button for 1-2 seconds, no clicking or anything.

3. PSUMattDE

PSUMattDE New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Pusta-
    I'm seeing the same thing - plus, I'm still seeing the random audio drops i've seen with both "B" and "C" software versions.

The audio drop while scanning the guide did go away with "B" when I turned off the Tivo sounds - but now it's back again.

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Did you try disabling the sounds?

If one had Tivo sounds enabled in 8.1.7b, there would be audio dropouts on Dolby Digital channels when browsing the guide. Disabling Tivo sounds under Settings -> Shoulsd would eliminate that issue.

So you now get this even with Tivo sounds disabled?

Note audio dropouts on a handful of Fox live and reality TV programs are due to the way that network handles certain inappropriate speech (i.e. they mute it).

5. pusta

pusta New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

I have the Tivo sounds OFF and get the audio dropouts when viewing the guide. It happens pretty consistently, and does not seem to matter what channel I'm on (Hi Def or SD).

Edit: PSU thanks for the reply, good to know I'm not alone.

6. PSUMattDE

PSUMattDE New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    BK-
    Yeah, i started seeing the audio drops w/ the guide again just this past weekend.

As far as the audio drops while watching Live TV - I see it more with certain channels - but it does happen.