TiVo HD and Lifetime Transfer??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MediaLivingRoom, Jul 25, 2007.

1. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002

Advertisements

Was anyone able to get Lifetime Transfer for the new TiVo HD?

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    So far, FWIR, no.

3. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    I spoke with a CSR yesterday about it and she had no knowledge of them being allowed to make the transfer to the newer HD unit, she did however say if I had a s3 classic in my hand purchased retail then I would be able to transfer for the 199.00.

4. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    What would be the price?

5. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002

Advertisements

Free is good.

6. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    I was going to risk being (more) obnoxious yesterday when I saw your first TiVo HD posts by asking where is your "Please offer free Lifetime Transfer for TiVo HD" thread, but I knew I didn't have long to wait, so I saved myself for other things.
    :p

7. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    If TiVo offered a $199 lifetime transfer to a new TiVo HD, I would buy one today.

Failing that, I would also buy a TiVo HD today under existing MSD terms if they added QAM mapping functionality.

8. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    I have 5 months remaining on my Series 2 from the Lifetime Transfer offer on my series 3.

Can the prepaid service be transfered to a new Tivo HD?

9. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Hey it may be worth a try, go buy a unit at Best Buy call them up and see what happens, worse thing they say no and you take it back for free.

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    guess they are still pushing the S3 inventory then. bummer :(

11. stevereis

stevereis New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    DFW
    Has anything definitive been said about the Lifetime Gift Cards and expiration?

TiVo changed their gift card policy a while back to say they never expire: https://www3.tivo.com/store/gift card.do

The fine print (https://www3.tivo.com/buytivo/giftcenter/termsandconditionsfortivoservicegiftcards.html ), the terms apply to cards sold "on or after November 15, 2006" and further that the cards are "issued only in dollar denominated values".

I take this to mean the lifetime cards are not covered and will expire 2 years after purchase, but would not know that unless I read this fine print. But, has there been any definitive word from TiVo on this? In other words, is it possible they have said they'll honor the old LT cards regardless of age?

Just wondering since it appears there may be more HD models coming, maybe with more features, etc. and wanted to keep my options open as long as possible.

12. TVerBeek

TVerBeek New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    They're not offering service transfers (at least "not at this time"), but a fair price would be the same one they've charged to transfer lifetime service to other new models: $199. That's what I paid for my original lifetime service on my S1, and since I understand that this is a whole new box I'd be buying, I wouldn't mind paying it again on a new HD. Like a special deal only offered to those who showed faith and pre-paid for the service back when they were trying to get off the ground. Since the the TiVo HD is the first model that is both an actual upgrade from the S1 (i.e. no deal-breaking capabilities missing, unlike the S2), and configured and priced for my middle-class budget (unlike the S3), I think it would be a nice gesture to offer the same terms that the S2 and S3 buyers got.

13. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    A fair price would be whatever the market is willing to bear. $199 is way too low. That's what they charged for folks who purchased the $800 TiVo Series 3, as an incentive to switch. As an incentive. Incentive. The $299 price for the TiVo HD already has its own built-in incentive -- it's an incredibly low price for what you're getting.

I'd guess that if they offered lifetime transfer again, it would be closer to $300.

14. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    I haven't thought this through in detail, but TiVo could probably offer Lifetime service at $349 initially and drop it incrementaly over 12-18 months to $249 and be very succesful (in TiVo's terms) with that.

15. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    They've beem selling 3 year service plans for $300 for a while now, a $300 lifetime would represent quite a discount over that. They always said they expected a 'lifetime' to be 4 years, but that estimate appeared to be way of the mark. I'd assume TiVo is pretty gunshy now about perpetual service obligations now.

16. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I doubt it would be above 199$. The purpose of lifetime transfer is to get older S1 boxes off of lifetime and push inventory on the DT or the new S3 line of boxes.

That background incentive has interest to TiVo. So in this case it most likely would be based on current sales of TiVo HD. I would hope they price it at 199$ and just drop the free year service on the other box. That is my "buy it" price point

I have a poll in the coffeehouse on how many are waiting on lifetime transfer deal to buy a TiVo HD

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=360179

17. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    You're right... maybe closer to $400.

See above. $300 needs to be viewed as an absolutely bottom-line number... it'll have to be more than that.

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    don't forget that this is a transfer of Lifetime and not the purchase of a new lifetime. Essentially it is really an upgrade the hardware fee. TiVo has already booked the initial payment for the lifetime and that needs to be factored in.

Of course if sales of TiVo HD are doing great then TiVo does not have as much incentive to offer it but let the original S3 be the vehicle for getting people off of S1 lifetimes. I am willing to hold out a while though and see if a transfer to the THD does come. I still think TiVo loves it every time a lifetime is lifted from an S1.

19. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I was talking about pricing for new lifetime subscriptions should TiVo re-introduce them.

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yes, but I doubt TiVo will ever offer new lifetimes and discussing such just confused things in a transfer lifetime thread. For instance BIcker and My posts on transfers crossing your posts