Tivo HD and Comcast Chicago

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by oldradio99, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1 of 20
    oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005

Advertisements

Hooked up my Tivo HD last night using Comcast Cable. No cable cards yet (supposed to be installed Saturday).

Here is my issue. Almost every time I change channels, the system pauses "searching for signal". The delay is annoying at best. I only get channels 2-99 and according to TIVO none of these are digital. All stations are coming in as 480 dpi. I has hoped to pick up some non-scrambled digital channels without the cable cards,

What can be the cause of the "searching for signal" on channel changes?

Is it true that all Comcast Chicago 2-99 channels are analog and none are digital?

2. Jan 3, 2008 #2 of 20
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I can't tell you why this is happening, but I noticed once I tuned a channel for the first time, it was much quicker to come up the second time.

(I am supposed to have a Cablecard come tomorrow, we will see how that goes.)

3. Jan 3, 2008 #3 of 20
    shane_pcs

shane_pcs New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    I had the same issue with searching for signal delays, and I too saw that it seemed like it was only the first time tuning to that channel. I went to the settings and channels and rescanned the channels. After that it went away.

4. Jan 3, 2008 #4 of 20
    oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    I will try that tonight

5. Jan 3, 2008 #5 of 20
    oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005

Advertisements

Do you get anything besides 2-99 without the cablecard?

6. Jan 3, 2008 #6 of 20
    shane_pcs

shane_pcs New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    I did not. If you run both the coax to both the cable and antenna port, I hear you can pick up the HD channels that are unencrypted. But you wont have guide for them.

7. Jan 3, 2008 #7 of 20
    oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Maybe I will wait for the CC on Sat before I mess around

8. Jan 3, 2008 #8 of 20
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    No, keep the cable connected to just the cable port - you don't gain anything by connecting it to the antenna port. Then do a channel scan (look under Settings/Channels) to see what digital channels your TiVo can pick up.

Many people will be able to find the HD network channels, but as you say, you won't have guide data for them.

In my location, I can't find any HD channels on a channel scan, but I can directly tune some (but not all) of them, given a list of them in my area at channels like 103-3.

9. Jan 3, 2008 #9 of 20
    CrispyCritter

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Where's the fun in that?

By the way, the delay the first time you tune a channel without cable cards is standard. I'm not sure whether it affects all franchises, or just those using digital simulcast. My hypothesis is the TiVo sees if it can tune a digital signal on that station, fails, and then keeps track that the station has to be tuned analog.

10. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005

Since my scan yielded no digital channels, how did you find the channels on your system?

11. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    So I just need to go through all the channels, maybe after a new channel scan, and this problem will go away?

12. CrispyCritter

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Look in the AVSforums. There is a sub-forum composed of primarily threads for each major HD location. Find the Chicago threads and then search it, possibly just for QAM. If I have your location right your thread may be here, but look around.

13. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Thanks to the link to that board.

Did not know it existed.

14. GkarRacer

GkarRacer New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Yes, this is definitely true. This is how Comcast (at least in Chicago) differentiates their digital channels and their analog channels. Everything 100 and up is a digital channel. Everything below 100 is analog. When you do get the cable cards, however, you will get the digital version of even the analog channels. You will no longer need to worry about the recording quality (basic, medium, high, etc.) as the original digital data will be recorded in all cases.

All of the HD channels are approximately in the range of 170-250 with some SD channels mixed in.

After you get the cable channels, I would suggest that you go into the setup and deselect all of the SD channel equivalents that have identical HD counterparts (especially for local stations - 2,5,7,9,11, etc.) This way when a suggestion is recorded, it will always pick the HD version. As far as I can tell TiVo seems to prefer the lower channel number when an identical show is listed on more than one channel (SD/HD equivalents, for example). Typically on Comcast the SD channel has a lower channel number. CBS 2 vs CBS-HD 189 for example.

15. GumboChief

GumboChief New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    You not must live in Chicago, but in one of the 'burbs.

Chicago has been digital simulcast for some time, and dropped 3/4ths of its analog channels in April '07.

16. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Comcast actually transmits both an Analog and a Digital version of channels 1 thru 99. If you have a cable box or a Cable Card you will be mapped to the digital version of the channel. I find that the picture quality of the Digital channel to a much better picture than the analog version.

17. oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Cards coming tomorrow - I hope

But when I did do a scan I did see the higher digital channels but they were all at 480 rather than 720 or 1080.

Is something wrong?

My digital strength was only at 66-68% on all the digital channels

18. GkarRacer

GkarRacer New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Actually that is what I said, but I could've been a little clearer. Analog is only sent on channels 1-99. A standard NTSC tuner can only pick up these channels. All channels are sent digitally, just like you said. With the cable cards you will get even the analog channels digitally, which is why the "recording quality" modes no longer apply. The picture quality is indeed superior to the analog signal.

Just for the record, I do live in Chicago and not in a suburb. But, frankly I don't pay much attention to what's in the analog range. Those are all SD channels and it's pretty rare that I need to venture into that section anymore. Most of those channels have been deselected in my channel list.

19. GkarRacer

GkarRacer New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    I found some threads that talked about this. You know, I actually hadn't heard about it. I only stop by here sporadically. ComCast never said anything about it to me. Or at least not that I can recall. It doesn't affect me one way or the other, so it's possible I just wasn't paying attention.

I wonder what analog still works. I might test it, but it's probably more trouble to set up than its worth.

20. GumboChief

GumboChief New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    They had some inserts in the bills in early 2007.
    About the only "expanded basic" that still works is FX.
    CNN, USA, VH1, MTV, & TNT are all dead.