TiVo HD and cable box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Yorkshireexile, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    I am about ready to buy my TiVo HD to replace the dead series 2 box. I will be calling the cable company to get them to install the M card in the TiVo, but in the interim can I just hook up the TiVo to the output from the cable box in the same way as I did with the series 2?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No, you can't.

3. Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    Thanks - though it was not the answer that I expected. Can I get basic cable before the M card is inserted? If I buy the TiVo today do I get any use out of it before getting the cable card installed?

4. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    You can use it for analog channels with out a cable card (or over the air stuff). You can do manual recordings of non encrypted digital stuff from the cable, if you manually go through and figure out what stations are what.

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Jakerock?

Are you saying the Series 3 and the TiVo HD do QAM digital (without cable cards) in addition to OTA ATSC?

6. Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    I have my new HD box in the trunk of my car! The install instructions may cover this - but tonight while there is no cable card in the box do I connect the cable in from the wall to the Antenna input instead of te cable input?

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The antenna input is used to connect a feed from the antenna. The cable input is used to connect a feed from cable.

use the cable input.

8. gdomeier

gdomeier New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Sartell, MN USA
    I hooked up cable to my tivoHD before the installer came. I received basic, some digital and some hd channels. The digital and hd channels did not contain guide data. I had to scroll through a lot of blank channels before stumbling upon the hd's.

9. Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    My question did look pretty dumb. I am sure that there was some logic to it when I asked it. The unit is now all hooked up and the comcast installer is coming tomorrow. I will add a little that may help others in a similar situation.

The install poster says that you may want to hold off hooking up the cable until the cable cards are installed. I hooked mine up and it immediately detected and set up all the basic cable stations. The advantage of using TiVo is worth the lack of the non basic channels for a couple of days.