TiVo HD add OTA without running Guided Setup without data connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RickStrobel, Jan 29, 2012.

1. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Can I add OTA input to a TiVo HD without running Guided Setup?

First, a little background: This is for my dad who is in a nursing home. He has a TiVo HD. The nursing home provides about 30 analog channels via their own in-house system. Those channels don't match any available lineups and they're not HD. I know we could request a custom lineup from TiVo, but by the time they get that done he'll have a DirecTV system in his room (about two weeks away).

So, in the mean-time I thought I'd add an antenna so he could get the HD channels over the air. I tried it direct to the TV and it worked great. Now I want to integrate it into his TiVo so he can use it.

PROBLEM: there is no working Internet in his room. There is a phone line but I don't know if I can use that for a TiVo connection.

QUESTION (finally) - Can I add the antenna input to his lineup without running Guided Setup? Can I run Guided Setup without a data connection?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, you need to rerun GS.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Does the phone line work? Unless there isn't a working local number, I don't see why the phone connection won't work.

4. RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    But, can you run Guided Setup without a phone or network connection?

Not sure what kind of phone system might be in place. When he calls me I get the CallerID with the main phone number of the facility. To call him I use a different number that goes right to his room.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There's no telling what kind of switchboard that nursing home has or whether there might be voltages on it that would screw up the TiVo's internal modem, and probably no one on staff there who would even understand any of this.

You'd have to ask whoever made their system to find out if and how the TiVo could use the phone line and they'd be unlikely to want anything they didn't supply attached to that system.

Maybe the office there would let you bring the TiVo, a small TV, a video cable with a yellow plug on each end, and a CAT5 cable and let you plug into their router long enough to run GS.

Or could you do it from a nearby private residence?

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Would it be possible to just borrow the TiVo for a few hours, bring it home, set it up at your place, and then bring it back to your Dad?

Maybe do it over night while he's sleeping?

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If you have access to a smart phone that allows wifi tethering and a tivo wireless adaptor, you could run guided setup that way

8. RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    Good idea!

Another good idea! I don't have a TiVo wireless adapter. I do have a Linksys router with DD-WRT that I've used as a wireless bridge. It works at home. Thought I could use it at the nursing home but I can't get it or anything to work on their crappy wireless.

I'd like to use the bridge but not sure I could program it for the signal from my iPhone. It's SSID shows up as Rick Strobel's iPhone, except that the apostrophe on a PC is some funky character. Don't know how to change that.