Tivo HD 160 Upgrade to 2 TB now Reboot/Freeze.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by btanoue, Jul 27, 2011.

1. btanoue

btanoue New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Hi,

I have a 160 GB Tivo HD.
    I upgrade to a 2 TB seagate drive that others said seems to work. It was a green one.

I used MFSLive 1.4 (I'm a linux geek so I'm not scared of the cmd line) :cool:

I used this command:
    backup -qTao - /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/sdb

It did a 160 GB but didn't expand. (x should have done that, but didn't)
    I also got 3 read errors from 3 sectors in a row.

I think I then ran something like mfs_add or expand, I don't remember off hand.
    It said that it used all the storage.

So now, it freezed tonight. It also took a long time to boot. It took two reboots (on its own to get to the little Tivo Mascot wallpaper)
    Any suggestions?

I still have the 160 GB drive. So I could go back.

The reason for the upgrade was that recently it would not show any video. Like I would have a channel on, and then I got nothing. Video output would cease. So I'd have to reboot.

Please help. Family getting frustrated and weekend coming...ahhhhhh!

btanoue

2. btanoue

btanoue New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Moderator:
    Sorry for the bump, should this have been in the upgrade forum?
    Didn't see that till now.

3. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I wish I had an answer for you on this one but I dont have any experience with the Seagate drives. I use Western Digital and the upgrade went great. I'm sure someone will come along that can help out. A lot have used the Seagate drives too. :)

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
  5. btanoue

btanoue New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Ipwcomp,

I don't think it did. I had a 1 TB that I used and all went well. I have no issues what so ever.

I also had recording on the old 160 GB and my understanding was that I would not be able to bring those over if I used the JMFS method.

That being said, having 157 hrs of HD now is way better. Our Tivo Suggestions are now like 130 shows and still going up. So I guess until we run out of room or need more space in the future, I'll upgrade then.

Thank You for the link though.

btanoue

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I used a Seagate 2TB in my Premiere. For my TiVo HD I used a Hitachi 2TB. No issues with either.

You can check the links in my post on what I did for the TiVo HD upgrade: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8457277#post8457277

Basically you can follow the 2/11/11 update section of this post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8309405#post8309405

Good Luck,

7. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    The recordings DO transfer using JMFS.

With 2 TB, having 318 hours of HD is even better. :p