Tivo has kind of moved to Facebook

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Jan 11, 2019.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    i have noticed something recently and I am not sure it is obvious to everyone. Over the last year TiVo has added a couple of new Facebook groups that I belong too and have been focusing their efforts in those spaces.

I have two thoughts why TiVo is creating alternative channels to this site. First, Facebook and social media is more active, easily accessible and the current thing. Second, nobody from Tivo can come to this site anymore without just unmercifully being hammered by internet ninjas fully of hate.

I give TiVocommimity another year... I used to come here every day, now I do quite a bit less. I get current info a lot quicker other locations...

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It's partly because, I expect, it's cheaper than running their own site. They snuffed their own user forum within the last year ... after letting it die on the vine for a year+.

3. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, I suspect they created that channel for similar reasons - control.

I have been here for a decade and every time a TiVo rep tries to join the community they aren’t well received. Facebook has a couple of things that bring value for them - traffics their forum failed for lack of traffic, and control.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    What facebook page are you referring to? I follow the standard Tivo page but very little is posted there except ads.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    weavb013 and bradleys like this.
  6. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    this forum is not ran by TIVO

mattack likes this.
  7. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    I don't think anyone said they did. In fact, I think that was the point. The Facebook pages they can control, and get rid of the worst of the negativity. Here, since they lack that control, they cannot.

I just hope they balance it to a degree. SOME negativity is not bad, and can be valuable feedback. If they're just doing it so they can get rid of everyone who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid, that's bad.

8. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
  9. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I think some post on here are the competition or someone repeating the same thing over and over again with a new screen name. At least on Facebook you have to post your name and stand by what you said. Russian trolls excluded

CloudAtlas likes this.
  10. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    And that's what makes this forum so valuable to TiVo owners and potential TiVo customers.

If this forum were run by TiVo no one would get the help they seek.

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. EWiser

EWiser Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Facebook is a broader audience than a forum. All types of forums have this problem. I have been on forums since the 80’s

12. El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    I enjoy the contact with tivo in the innovator group. It’s actually really neat to have that kind of contact with a consumer product company.

I never used the official tivo forums. This place is a very good user community and has been an essential part of my tivo experience.

compuguy, CloudAtlas and bradleys like this.
  13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's due to dedicated and hard working administrators. You have no idea how TiVo's support forum was like. It would help if TiVo_Ted had some help with corporate issues. It's not like we are going to affect TiVo's bottom line. Members of TCF get such pride in finding bugs. :)

compuguy likes this.
  14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, the first post in the thread can be read as them thinking that Tivo has something to do with this site.

ajwees41 likes this.
  15. leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    and those of us that don't do facebook.

Mikeguy likes this.
  16. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

That wasn’t my intention, but I suppose I could have been more clear.

17. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    No facebook so can't participate so disappointing to see.

18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Don't let yourself get cucked by Zuck.

19. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
  20. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Overstatement of the year (so far) - reps here do take heat, sure, but those that stick around and provide useful info/updates like Tivo_Ted are accepted and appreciated. Even if we don't agree about their direction, lack of meaningful guide data fixes, ignoring commonly reported bugs etc.

Said it before long ago - you have to be willing to take criticism in public forums, but in return if your company is doing the right things you'll be ok. And that's really at the heart of Tivo's problems, on balance they're sometimes doing that sometimes not. And that means breaking as much as they fix with every SW release.

Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.