Tivo has discontinued use of Tivo App for Fire TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jcthorne, Jan 2, 2018.

1. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    There is no longer any way to play Tivo stored video on Amazon Fire TV boxes. The app has been pulled and old installations can no longer log in. Support via web browser on the Fire TV has also been disabled. Call me VERY upset as I can no longer play back items from our Tivo at our vacation home. As far as I am concerned, Tivo has removed a feature / use case I PAID FOR as part of my subscription and a very large part of the Tivo experience for us. No replacement use method provided.

This combined with other Tivo / Amazon quibbles lately show a disconnect between the two companies that customers are paying for.

I have no idea what I can do to work around this as even the Tivo channel on Plex no longer works.

Tivo has posted this message on the Tivo.com site:

After two years of successful adoption, the beta program of TiVo for FireTV has come to a close. As of November 2017, the app has ceased its current functionality and will no longer be available for new downloads from the Amazon Marketplace in the coming days. TiVo and FireTV technologies have grown and changed quite a bit since our release of this beta application in 2015. To best support these advances, we’ve made the difficult decision to end support for the existing beta application. We at TiVo are committed to incorporating your beta program feedback so we can provide a truly optimized experience for today’s Streaming Video technology and user needs.

In the coming days, we will be closing up our existing FireTV documentation and support presence to make room for future products that incorporate the most-loved features of your TiVo Device and Mobile Applications. TiVo is committed to continuing to support streaming playback of your recordings from our mobile application for iOS, Android and Amazon Fire (mobile), as well as from our web portal.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Dec 2, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, that stinks. That was the one being reason I kept around my FireStick. I took it whenever I traveled, so that I could watch things on my TiVo while at a hotel.

That being said, I don’t know if you can necessarily say this was a service that you were currently paying for. The entire time it has been around, it has been considered to be a beta test. With all beta tests, the final product does not always come to fruition.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaronwt likes this.
  3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I wonder if this means they are releasing something hydra based?

4. TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    I'm sorry that this has impacted you. There is no squabble between Amazon and TiVo. The Fire TV app was created as an experiment in 2015 and mostly forgotten. The engineer who built it left the company and we shifted our engineering focus onto a new, cross-platform code base which will allow us to release apps for a variety of streaming adapters and connected TV's. A few weeks ago the security certificate for this old app timed out and the app expired. So far, we have not been able to recreate the app as it existed 2 years ago, and we aren't ready to release a version on the new code base yet.

As a short-term workaround, you might try setting up a Plex server? You could have the recordings auto-transfer from a TiVo to a PC and drop them into a Plex library. Then, in your vacation home you could use the Plex client on your Fire stick. It's not ideal, but might keep you up and running while we finish up a new Fire app.

fis, kalahari, rdrrepair and 14 others like this.
  5. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    And THIS is why it's so amazing to have you here Ted! I don't ge this level of insight from any other company I work with on a routine basis! Thank you.

kalahari, mrizzo80, aaronwt and 2 others like this.
  6. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston

Thanks for the reply Ted!

And it is great to hear that a new Fire app (and others) are in the works. As I already have a plex server running, I am going to try and set up some auto transfers in kmttg to Plex as you suggest.

Again, thanks for your response. Your involvement here means a lot to me.

aaronwt and PSU_Sudzi like this.