TiVo has arrived!

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by nocomp, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Feb 11, 2011 #1 of 246
    nocomp

nocomp New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    down south

Advertisements

Hi

It's here took about 40 minutes to set up and looking great

Have used YouTube already with no issues

General picture and sound quality excellent

Am the first customer in my area (south coast )to get installed

So far so good will play some more and let you know

No comp

2. Feb 11, 2011 #2 of 246
    deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Great ... look forward to try this all myself - I'm currently waiting for the TiVo Guy to arrive - got a 10am-2pm booking for today!

3. Feb 11, 2011 #3 of 246
    deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Now installed ... took 40-50 mins to install and as observed elsewhere most of this time is spent waiting for it to download updates and initial program data. Person who did my install said it was his first - he'd had TiVo since December.

Was told 3rd tuner upgrade is planned for March and also he thought the ethernet port was being "activated" at the same time.

Overall initial impressions are great - responsiveness is good. Box appartently polls servers every 23 minutes and should react to late channel changes - though installer said the standard STBs were meant to receive updates immediately but this didn't always work!

Access to catch-up TV from program guide not yet perfect .... you can "select" a catchup TV program by going back in time on the program guide but at the moment they've not sorted out a direct link to the program so you just get to go to the main catch-up TV menu. Also the "C" symbols in the guide just indicate programs that will be available via catch-up TV and not ones that are already there ... so if you follow the link too soon you'll not be able to find the program.

Minor niggle - when going to the main program guide you seem to end up at the start of the list of channels rather than the channel you are currently on.

Also, will take a day or two to get used to the "ok/select" button being in the middle of the direction arrows rather than below ... have got to the "my shows" page by mistake several times already.

Seems to be much more "pro-active" about parental controls and PIN numbers ... if its got no guide data for a channel then full parental control applies as it has no rating info. While experimenting with catchup TV found I needed a PIN to select "sun, sex, and parents" (or whatever that BBC3 prog about parents spying on teenagers on holiday is!) I'll probably have to investigate the options as I can see this getting annoying + my view is that I hope my children understand what sort of things are not appropriate for them and exercise some responsibility for themselves rather than have restrictions imposed so they've no need to think for themselves.

Now, need to set aside a hour or two to go through the process of transferring all the SPs from our old TiVo to the new one!

4. Feb 11, 2011 #4 of 246
    sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    what I'm going to need is some clever sort to come up with a wishlist transfer utility from a non networked S1...

Any takers? :)

looks like I might be an early adopter of any qwerty keyboard that might be offered.

5. Feb 11, 2011 #5 of 246
    nocomp

nocomp New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    down south

Advertisements

Hi

Have made my first recording with no issues, am slowly transferring season passes manually lu key I still have s1to remember what they are!

Apps and games are a little limited at present, eBay, twiiter, YouTube and celebrity. Hope access to local network ia available soon.

You can set up audio and video in settings but can leave TiVo to set up automatically.

So far all good, it's a lot like using as1 but faster and with more features

No comp

6. Feb 11, 2011 #6 of 246
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Don't suppose anyone's tried sticking a USB one in the socket; either wired or wirless?

7. Feb 11, 2011 #7 of 246
    deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    VM man who installed man has had a TiVo since Dec and said he'd experimented with the ethernet port (but wasn't able to connect) and also said he'd seen the TiVo peanut + qwerty kbd thats available in the US and thought it would be useful but the price was a bit steep ... I'd sort of infer from this is connecting a kbd via the USB port could work then he wouldn't be looking at a peanut for this!

8. Feb 11, 2011 #8 of 246
    deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Yup, honour of first recording on our TiVo went to .... Scooby Doo!

Started to transfer SPs by bringing of list on old tiVo, noting name, switching channel to new TiVo and search for prog. Rapidly realised quite how many SPs are hanging around for the next time that program has a series rather than things currently in the listings so reverted to thinking what programs we watch at the moment and will rely on filling in as we go along I think!

Looked into the "parental controls" ... looks like this is totally hardwired into the system and I can see this becoming a major gripe (especially from people in households with no children). Want to watch anything rated 12 before 8pm, 15 before 9pm of 18 before 10pm then you'll need to type in a PIN ... not sure if this is a per program PIN or per session.

9. Feb 11, 2011 #9 of 246
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You're kidding! That would be beyond annoying. Surely there must be a master control to take parental controls off.

10. Feb 11, 2011 #10 of 246
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    non networked S1 = no hope!

Does VM let you set season passes from their website ? Or just remote one off recordings?

Won't let me log in yet...

http://tv.virginmedia.com/vtvapp/epg.do
    or the mobile version:
    http://m.virginmedia.com/vmuk/tvguide/ChannelList.aspx?pack=XL

[edit] just noticed it can do SPs:
    So a module to transfer SPs should be doable at least.

11. Feb 12, 2011 #11 of 246
    laurence@key2.co

laurence@key2.co Loz

Jun 17, 2007
    Croydon
    My TiVo arrives on Thursday. I won't be in, so planning to make a space for it this weekend.
    Can anyone that's had one installed tell me what they install besides the TiVo? I'll drill a hole through the wall for the coax, but do I also need to plan for a plastic box on the wall that they route the coax through? Does the coax go straight into TiVo or is there a separate modem?
    Is the s1 remote compatible, or will I have to reprogram all the universal remotes?
    6 days to go, can't wait!

12. Feb 12, 2011 #12 of 246
    smokie

smokie New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    S1 remote not compatible.

In my case I have a small outside box where cable from road terminates and splits around the outside of the house, coming in through the wall exactly where I need it. No separate modem indoors, unless you have broadband which needs one.

13. Feb 12, 2011 #13 of 246
    laurence@key2.co

laurence@key2.co Loz

Jun 17, 2007
    Croydon
    Thanks Smokie,
    Sounds like I'll have same setup as you. So, coax comes in through wall and terminates in the (F?) plug that connects to the TiVo, have I understood right? They used to terminate the coax in an ugly, oversized, surface mounted plastic box, sounds like I don't need to worry about that though.

14. Feb 12, 2011 #14 of 246
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    More work than it would save. Plus it couldn't transfer dormant SPs.

I've "redone" my SPs on MC a few times, and it doesn't take as long as you think.

15. Feb 12, 2011 #15 of 246
    smokie

smokie New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Mine was already there so don't know what current standard is - I expect the guy will do pretty much whatever you want for a cuppa and a biscuit :)

16. Feb 15, 2011 #16 of 246
    CeeBeeUK

CeeBeeUK New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    The engineer is here, first time I have been first on a delivery list!

17. Feb 15, 2011 #17 of 246
    CeeBeeUK

CeeBeeUK New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    He's still here :(

First box didn't work, second box is not syncing either.

18. Feb 15, 2011 #18 of 246
    jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    My engineer still hasn't rung / arrived :(

19. Feb 15, 2011 #19 of 246
    frobozz

frobozz New Member

May 2, 2002
    Burnley
    Still waiting here too, or rather my mother is because I'm at work :(

20. Feb 15, 2011 #20 of 246
    warrenrb

warrenrb Quiet Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Belfast
    Same here! I've to go to a meeting at 12, and he's still not here! Of all the days - I couldn't move the meeting - I'm usually here every day, day in, day out (working from home). Typical.

The TV unit got hoovered to within an inch of it's life this morning at 8:30am too! ;)

What time does an 'AM' slot cover? I can't remember what the guy on the phone said - I was in a TiVo ordering daze at the time...