TiVo has 700 Million in the bank...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Hew, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1 of 65
    Hew

Hew New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    After the latest AT&T settlement it has become 700 Million with another couple hundred million coming over the next several years. If you assume that TiVo settles with the rest of the cable co's like Verizon, and Time Warner it could have well north of 1 Billion dollars in cash.

My question to everyone is what would you do if you were CEO of TiVo and had more money then you knew what to do with... Acquisitions? Vacations for everyone? Take 100 million and move to a secret location?

Seriously though, what can TiVo do with its huge stash of money that will continue growing the company past 2018 when their patents expire?

2. Jan 5, 2012 #2 of 65
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Innovate. Create a robust app ecosystem for the tv. A page out of apples play book.

3. Jan 5, 2012 #3 of 65
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Finish the HDUI on the Tivo Premiere.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #4 of 65
    scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    They need to market a product that over comes the crap games cable providers are playing. Perhaps find legal ground that prevents the cable companies from offering services, like PPV, that aren't compatible with CC technology. Level the playing field.

5. Jan 5, 2012 #5 of 65
    MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Create a Tivo that everyone would want over the ones that cable systems offer, something average person would be wanting. Right now with cable systems offering free DVR service most people just go with that to save money.

6. Jan 5, 2012 #6 of 65
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I would immediately pay myself a huge bonus. Then I would pay all of my top executives huge bonuses. Then I would give huge bonuses to the legal team who made these lawsuits happen.

Then I wold go to a bank, borrow some money and walk down Wall St. handing out huge bonuses to random people who are dressed like hedge fund managers.

7. Jan 5, 2012 #7 of 65
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Just continue to invest in the platform. Give me more reasons not to look at a Roku

8. Jan 6, 2012 #8 of 65
    hc130radio

hc130radio Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Rockwall TX
    Develop a partnership with Sony or Microsoft to get into the game consoles. I dont own a PS3, but I do own an XBox360. What Microsoft is doing to the Xbox with regards to partnerships is pretty awesome. Loving the ESPN3 stuff. I have a lot of great content now that I didn't have in the past.

9. Jan 6, 2012 #9 of 65
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Microsoft is a direct competitor to TiVo. Between Mediaroom (the middleware they sell that powers AT&T U-Verse), Windows Media Center Edition, and all the new video added to X-Box, they are the last company that would ever partner with TiVo. Not to mention TiVo is either suing or is likely to sue Microsoft over patents. The AT&T settlement was over AT&T's use of infringing Microsoft products.

Sony, maybe not as much but I don't see a partnership there either. They aren't really in the DVR game like Microsoft, and they haven't added much to the PS3 in terms of video sources, but their goal is to sell consoles and I don't know how TiVo would fit into that. However, Sony used to manufacture TiVos so it's not outside the realm of possibilities.

I agree on the ESPN3 front, though. Sources like that, NHL Center Ice, MLB.tv, etc would be awesome

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It's not free, and by current regulations, the CATV company is required to take the cost of the DVR off the customer's bill if they bring their own device (in this case a TiVo) to the table. Depending on the provider, the net difference may not wind up being less expensive than the leased solution, but it makes it much less financially unattractive.

11. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I get free DVR service every month for 3 DVR's thru TWC right now. Whether they take the cost off my monthly service for the cable, or however they subtract it, I'm not paying for the service. All I pay for is the monthly digital cable of $58.99 plus taxes. I been doing that for several years now. I have my Tivo's connected to the antenna for the OTA channels. I'm going to try to get the lifetime on them in July when the contract is up, if they dont offer it to me I'm going to cancel them.

12. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Theres one of my DCX3400's on top of one of my Tivo's.

Attached Files:

• DVR.jpg
      DVR.jpg
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
  13. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    TiVo is settling for CHEAP! But, of course, it can not sustain another 3+ year trial for the really big payday, so it takes the chump change from "offenders." But TiVo really needs the cash.

14. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Spend some real dough on R&D and forget offending the Cable cos and build a box that has the best experience of Roku/Boxxee Box and a built-in Elite (or maybe a 3 tuner at least) DVR. Considering that Xbox may add a DVR functionality to record both games AND TV, TiVo has got to embrace the OTT and realize it's future is THERE, NOT with the cable cos. A really well designed internet TiVo streaming device with the latest of TiVo DVR features (it should also have a NON DVR TiVo streaming product) would be a formidable product. Of course, TiVo is behind on this now, but it could catch up.

15. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    No, just make a DVR with Google TV so it will need a Marvell ARM processor and save the frustration of developing an app ecosystem by using Android Market. One with Blu-ray, one without.

16. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    R&D and marketing.

TiVo is a household name, and every since the demise of vcr, instead of taping something you simply tivo'd it. Lately that has fallen out of favor. I use either taping again or recording it.

They need to invest in R&D to put out the best possible unit, one which does everything. Then get the word out in a major way, that this really is the only game in town.

I think firstly they need a robust streaming service.

Or simply follow what apple did with the iphone.

17. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, at least I can rest easy knowing that the money won't be wasted on software/product development!

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Ha, that'll be the day! It's been almost two years since the Premiere was released and the only updates they've come out with have made the experience worse for me, not better. (i.e. added audio problems, SD menu problems, constant THX logo playing problem, etc...)

The Premiere is the only TiVo I've ever regretted buying. I should have just got a TiVo HD instead. It may not offer all the new features, but at least it would have been problem free and not a constant frustration.

Dan

19. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    ^^^And that's why I'm still sitting with two Tivo HDs and waiting to see if the Elite ever gets over it's rebooting problems.

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Hopefully TiVo can focus on refining the Premiere now. The new update looks promising.
    Kind of makes me wish I had subbed a Premiere when TiVo had the $9.99 /mo OTA only promotion a while back.