Tivo Hard Drives

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cconk01, Jan 25, 2006.

1. cconk01

cconk01 New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I was windering if the hard drives offered on weekknees are better then the hard drives that come standard in tivos now? it seems like i am always hearing that someones tivo hard drive is on the blink.... i know hard drives die, but i have had a hard drive in my computer working for about 5 years now which makes me wonder is tivo is using less then ok hard drives or if tivo requires more performance from the hard drive then a computer.....

(Can't wait for the Tivo Series 3 DVR to come out this year....)

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    My friends have 9 TiVos that were bought between 5.5 and 6 years ago, and every one of them is running fine. The only disk failure I've had in that time was in a PC.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You cannot base your Tivo hard drive reliability statistics on the posts you read here. Most folks come here because their Tivo's have a problem, and the represent just a small fraction of the total Tivo customers.

Tivo's aren't any "harder" on their hard drives than a computer that's running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A small fraction fail, both in computers and in Tivos. Weaknees does offer the new Maxtor QuickView drives, which might be slightly better for DVRs than regular computer drives, but it's too early to tell.

4. DishDoctorStu

DishDoctorStu New Member

Jan 27, 2006
    I work for a large utility and we have over 100 PC's in my area, and their hard drives do fail, maybe 2% a year. Remember about 7 years ago when Dell? had a recall program to replace a whole batch of hard drives. Being mechanical, they are less reliable than the power supplies. Our work PCs probably get mechanically stressed by being relocated from office cubicle to cubicle, while at home we have not moved our TV stuff.
    The working (abour a year) 80GB Maxtor QuickView that I removed from our TCD540080 looked very simular to the PC grade DiamondMax-10 300GB I upgraded to, but was labeled with more international consumer safety certifications and possibly had slightly lower power usage/heat creation.
    Ordered up a 2nd drive mounting kit, and may try a Seagate (5year warrantee) on our other TiVo TCD540080.