TiVo Guide

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ustavio, Sep 5, 2014.

1. ustavio

ustavio Member

Oct 19, 2013

Advertisements

Anyone else notice some wacky Guide information? Lately, I've been getting movie descriptions in Spanish on the Sony Channel. I've also encountered some shows listed at 3 plus hours when they clearly are not that long. The next listed show is already playing while the lengthy show is still listed.

While I understand that ESPN makes some last minute decisions on what football game they are going to air on which of its networks, the Guide is getting to be almost absurd in that far too many games are TBA until the day before or even the day of the actual game. At times, the game is accurately listed for replay later in the evening on ESPNU but not for the actual game time itself!

Tribune is getting sloppy.

2. flashedbios

flashedbios Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Yes. I have noticed that when the Simpsons are supposed to be on, its sometimes some other stupid show. I also wanted to add that if what we are paying for is guide data, then I'd expect they would check their work a little more thoroughly. That is what we pay for right? I mean the tivo is perfectly capable on its own to record stuff, the "tivo service" is basically just a BS way of saying we have to pay for guide data and updates.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    ESPN always does this. It is because they wait until the week of the game to decide which channels carry which games. I try to force an update Saturday morning just to be sure my teams' wishlists will record correctly.

4. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Something was messed up when I tried to record episode one of Houdini. It only showed it as a one hour show in the guide and it showed it twice back to back (i.e. - one 2 hr show split into 2 separate episodes with the same description in the guide), so my Roamio only recorded the first hour. I had to stream the last hour of the show, which is how I realized it was supposed to be one, 2 hour show.

5. ustavio

ustavio Member

Oct 19, 2013

Advertisements

I understand and can accept this to a degree. However, more than enough times, it is TBA on the TiVo/Tribune guide but is correctly listed on the guide for our Verizon STB, at Zap 2 It and on the scheduled games part of the ESPN website. Everyone else seems to know.

I usually end up setting a TBA to record anyway if the ESPN schedule says the game will be on a specific channel. By time the game starts, the TiVo guide will usually catch up.

6. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    For subchannels and other non-network stations, I find many more errors than I do in TitanTV guide, which is free, and I pay $14.99/month for the errors. Is that fee for disservice?

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That is strange. I did not see a single TBA last Saturday for college football (on the same day). Glancing at this week's games, all of ESPN/ABCs channels are showing the complete games. Perhaps your TiVo is not completing it's daily download.

8. ustavio

ustavio Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Everything has filled in as of today. It's usually filled in by game day, often just the day before. I wondered as well if there were daily down load issues but surmise a manual service connection would resolve any issue. It does not.

ESPN is part of the issue but once their own website states that a specific game is on,say ESPNU or ESPN2, in a specific time slot (and this can be a week or more), and it doesn't show up in the guide until the day before....then the problem is either Tribune/TiVo isn't holding up their end or my specific TiVo hates me (or both).

I no longer have a FIOS STB to cross check but when I did, the scheduled games would appear on their guide but not on the TiVo guide. At least the information is in English when it eventually shows up.