TiVo Guide: sort by channel name

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by Furmaniac, Nov 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Whatever happened to TiVo's sort by channel name in the guide?
    They left it out of Hydra and didn't include it in the recent release.
    I am the first to mention it recently on the blog.
    Isn't it something that you all would like to see brought back?

2. Dec 1, 2018 #2 of 15
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. Dec 3, 2018 #3 of 15
    Rey

Rey Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    I'd like them to bring this back too.

4. Dec 5, 2018 #4 of 15
    skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    For me, i would never use a channel "sort by name"....... That said, This is why I like Tivo vs most any other DVR..... They give users OPTIONS, because what I really like someone else may not.

What I read and it seams like TE4 (Hydra) is more of a this is the way we designed it..... and you take it like it was made for the engineer.

The worst experience I have ever used on a DVR was DirecTV's genie HR54....... I was so glad to be rid of it..... But one thing that has me really concerned is that TE4 is the way of the future, and hope Tivo will roll out a "experience" that gives us many choices.

5. Trharris72

Trharris72 New Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I find the channel guide almost unusable without "Sort by Name". On one of the TIVO help pages it describes sorting by name but says that it is "inaccessible" in 21.8.1. Does anyone know why this has happened?

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Because they chose not to include it. That’s the simplistic answer. They made some decisions based on how used some options were and I’d surmise this was one that they didn’t see enough use to include at least for now.

I’ve used that sort in the past but not often. More to find a channel. But the channel names tend to be arbitrary so I don’t find it that useful.

Good luck in getting it back.

jrtroo likes this.
  7. brentengel

brentengel New Member

Jan 15, 2019
    It is a game changer for me... ridiculous. Why wouldn't you want network channels sorted in order to eliminate or to group your mental query of programming? I'm looking for an alternative from my cable provider. Frustratiing, almost enraging that they are inconsiderate... almost think it conspiracy to manipulate users into having to use voice search feature or to make the user scroll through the menu. Absolute sh*t show of thought put into something touted as a wonderful experience. Fix it!

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    HAHAHA. Conspiracy? Are you listening to yourself? They don't consider it broken, and hydra was available well before VOX. It is one reason I'm not moving to hydra quite yet (along with broken suggestions).

9. brentengel

brentengel New Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Advertisers and politicians love your type-o-psyche. My cable provider updated for me... no choice. And if you were to be more detail and considerate of reality you wouldn't have posted such an embarassing reply.

10. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Not quite . When Hydra was released the quickest way to trigger it was to use the voice command.

However, TiVo deemed that channel name sort was not important enough to implement on Hydra yet. I’d bet some thought was given to using voice as a replacement to “find” HBO.

Fios has taken that approach with its new dvr. The remote is missing a lot of buttons, including one to list dvr programs. Their answer? Use voice.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  12. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Oops, looks like I got my dates crossed.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, TE4 was live (at least in Spain) for a half year+ before VOX hit.

14. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    We ain’t in Spain.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, but TE4 was ... and without voice functionality.