TiVo guide not updating for time changes

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by steve_togo, Dec 20, 2015.

1. steve_togo

steve_togo Member

Oct 23, 2014
    MICHIGAN
    TiVo is missing recordings for madam secretary as the time was updated also it does not record a lot of shows on time. It's either short because of time change or it does not record at all.

I have a base roamio with wow cable no cable card though, has anyone experienced this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How do you expect the TiVo to know that something has been delayed at the last minute by a football game overrun?

I have every FOX and CBS Sunday night show padded by an hour. Didn't help tonight since those &*$% idiots at CBS decided to start CSI:Cyber a half hour early..

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    TiVo has to get the info from Tribune Media Services, or whatever they're calling themselves now, before they can pass it on.

I'm guessing Trib never bothered with CBS's last minute change.

As it happens the Madame Secretary episode previously scheduled was a repeat of the March 15th, 2015 episode "Tamerlane", and since the Sunday night schedule, already set to start 30 minutes later than usual, was going to be delayed by another half hour or so, they just decided to dump that show instead of making the local affiliates wait until after midnight to start their 11PM news shows.

Good for them, bad for TiVo owners, but even if TiVo had updated the listings on their own it wouldn't do any good unless one's TiVo happened to make contact after 7PM EST, and since they wouldn't really know exactly how late 60 Minutes would start until almost the last moment, they wouldn't know for Undercover Boss and CSI:Cyber until then either, and there'd be no practical way to know how all the various affiliates were going to juggle their post primetime schedule.

Which is not to say they couldn't have done a better job of making it possible for TiVo owners to cope with situations like that back during the original design of the first TiVos.

I figure everybody involved must have had strictly West Coast backgrounds and never encountered a sports induced delay of East Coast primetime schedules, or they would have included a "60 Minutes Mode" that advanced users could invoke.

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I tried to set up a manual recording of CSI:Cyber starting 30 minutes early so the recording would have the right name, but you can only go up to 10 minutes early.

5. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    No, they probably updated it, but you have to realize it takes time to propagate.

Tribune gets the data from the station on the update, and then someone has to alter the TMS schedules they maintain internally with that information and update their servers with it.

Then TiVo has to come around and grab a snapshot of the Tribune listings. TiVo then has to take that data, process it into pieces that a TiVo unit can understand, and put it on their servers.

Then your TiVo unit itself has to go around and download the block of data from the TiVo server.

This can be a huge delay - so changes that take place in under half a day or so will be extremely iffy in getting picked up.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Zap2it was never updated. Still isn't. CBS may be trying to lower the show's ratings.

7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    All CBS needed to do was put a rerun of a 1/2 hour show from 10:00 - 10:30.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    For the OP or any newbie reading this:
    TMS is Tribune Media Services. Zap2It is a website and both are now part of GraceNotes (Corp. ?). The database is common and TiVo uses the data but subject to the delays for additional processing and the latency of getting it into your TiVo, which can be 24 hrs or more.

You have to understand that near-zero latency of Internet transaction processing only occurs for cases where you are being billed or debited. :p

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    As I said, at least you have all of it and it wouldn't require too much effort to get things to where they need to be on your TiVo.

10. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
  11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
  12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The local affiliates who make a lot of their advertising revenue off of the local newscast aren't exactly thrilled about losing viewers by the 11PM news being bumped to 11:30, and would probably consider having it shoved all the way to midnight just to make some TiVo owners happy to be "unacceptable".

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That's why I said put 1/2 hour show in there. Then the schedule stays as it was. I would think that the "CSI:Cyber" adverters wouldn't be real happy with what they did. People who watch the local news wouldn't be happy either if they waited until 11:30 to tune in. In fact, I can't see how this makes anyone happy.

14. steve_togo

steve_togo Member

Oct 23, 2014
    MICHIGAN
    I totally understand about how TIVO has to make a connection to their servers to get the updated guide info. This is 2015 and I personally think, it is not too hard to setup a listener in Roamio and TIVO can directly broadcast any schedule changes to the Roamio.

This is a DVR\PVR and not a VCR where we are responsible for time keeping, The least minimum when it realizes that there was a time change it should atleast make an effort to record the rerun.

15. steve_togo

steve_togo Member

Oct 23, 2014
    MICHIGAN
    I totally understand about how TIVO has to make a connection to their servers to get the updated guide info. This is 2015 and I personally think, it is not too hard to setup a listener in Roamio and TIVO can directly broadcast any schedule changes to the Roamio.

This is a DVR\PVR and not a VCR where we are responsible for time keeping, The least minimum when it realizes that there was a time change it should atleast make an effort to record the rerun.

16. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How do the TiVo servers get the information?

17. steve_togo

steve_togo Member

Oct 23, 2014
    MICHIGAN
    They need to figure out, just how they are implementing commercial skip, there are 1000 ways to do it. Audio recognition, facial recognition etc or pay for a service. Today cloud infrastructure is cheap and they can do it. I say this because I am a software engineer and I know it is easy to do it.

18. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Here's a suggestion. Why don't you develop something that runs on a Pc and accomplishes the same thing, it being so easy and all.

19. steve_togo

steve_togo Member

Oct 23, 2014
    MICHIGAN
    It's funny though I actually do have it, but it's useless because I can't get into TiVo as the connection has to be from them.

Anyways I was saying seriously and I don't think it's hard or expensive for them to do. I definitely like TiVo and it's ease of setup and solutions it offers.

20. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You could have the PC schedule a recording of the perceeding show.

You keep saying that it would be easy when you have no idea how the TiVo s/w works internally. At the very least, the programming information would have to be updated and then the scheduler would have to run. What do you do with shows that have already started recording but didn't actually start until 1/2 hour later? Extend them? Thus possibly creating conflicts or even disk space problems although the latter is unlikely but the code has to be able to handle it. And of course all this happens only after the TiVo servers are made aware of the change.

What CBS did should never be done and in fact isn't done very often. They are the ones at whom you should aim your complaints.