Tivo Guide New Recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Stormydog, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010

Advertisements

I have Season PAsses for many shows. They work fine. The problem I get now is that it seems the show is going thru reruns and my Season Pass is set for New Shows only. Since the batch of reruns have the generic show description and no specific episode name or number, the Tivo selects these as new shows and I have to wade thru the ToDoList and delete them. I dont think there is anyway around this. Dont know if it is worth trouble to set up a "do not record" scenario (I do not know how to do this).

I love the NEW icon telling me a show is a new episode!!!

Just wondering...

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Nobody has been able to say how that new icon works. I have seen it appear, disappear, and reappear for the same show. I have also seen it show up on shows that were clearly not new.

Also, I don't believe it is linked to the first run option under season passes, as we know that has a 28 day logic and thus can pick up things like show marathons as first run.

3. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I am sure what you said is all true. At least the New icon helps me alot more times than not. It is selecting programs as new that are reruns that bother me. This happens when the TV Guide carries a generic show description - no episode title or specific description. This has always been an issue so O wondered if anyone had a way around it. I know some people do a lot of gyrations to set up shows to record so thought there was a way to enter something to recognize so wont record. I guess my only option is to always go thru the ToDoList and manually delete all instances I think are repeats.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Larry M

Larry M Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Central...
    Sometimes when a show is several days out in the guide, it will have a generic description. Then as it gets closer in time, it will change to the right description.

5. Mar 1, 2013 #5 of 33
    Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010

Advertisements

If that is the case, I wonder if my ToDoList will update itself to not record once it has been flagged for recording? Or I should continue to police the todo list.

I dont put much faith in having correct tv guide information as I get quite tired of recording a show only to discover later that a completely different show was airing under that same name.

I did find reference on tivo.com in creating a wish list with the show description to somehow not record. Some shows have lenghty show descriptions and are not always brief. You then delete the Season Pass. It is a work around but what happens when the show starts a new season, you have to create a new season pass again. Easier to delete ToDoList if not too many.

6. Mar 2, 2013 #6 of 33
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I do the same as you, Stormydog. I routinely go through my 'to do' list and delete all the ones that shouldn't be there. Maybe I should try being patient and seeing if they will go away on their own. I just fear that, because they are there (and often there are tons of them!), the Tivo will start deleting stuff that shouldn't have to be deleted.

Shows I watch on some channels I don't even bother with an SP anymore because those are the channels that are the worst for adding reruns into my 'to do' list. I just go through each week and choose all the new episodes to record. Some of these are daily (4-5 days per wk). Good thing I have a lot of time on my hands.

It is tiresome, to say the least. I just don't understand why if it doesn't say 'NEW' it should think that it should be picked up. Instead of getting better over the years this is one area that has gotten worse.

7. Mar 2, 2013 #7 of 33
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I have had good luck being patient and waiting for the guide info to change by giving more episode info. When this happens the TiVo adjusts the to do list accordingly. I can't remember the last time my TiVo recorded a bunch of repeats. I'm not saying this will never happen, but my hunch is that it is rare.

8. Mar 2, 2013 #8 of 33
    Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Everyone here is pretty much on the money and this is a problem caused by the various channels, they just don't use accurate descriptions of upcoming shows such as whether or not they are repeats.

Someone here mentioned that as the show date gets closer, the information is upgraded and when that happens, Tivo will ALWAYS remove reruns from programs set to only record first runs.

A great example are two shows on the MLB channel, Prime 9 and MLB Countdown. Sometimes I see dozens of these shows set to record with little or no description of the episodes. I just leave them because they are always updated as the air date gets closer and reruns disappear from the To Do List.

Also, since these shows run often at many times per day, I have them set to a low priority so they will never block another show from recording.

9. Mar 2, 2013 #9 of 33
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I also routinely have to delete FX Network's "Three Minute Replay" of Justified and other shows since an SP First Run Only picks these up....

10. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    I missed this the first time around. What is this new icon?

11. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Agreed, they are annoying and there doesn't seem to be any choice except manually deleting them.

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I could be wrong, but I think the poster was referring to the 'NEW' icon - denoting that it is a new episode.

13. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    You are correct Sharkster. Maybe I should have been clearer by stating it is the gold icon with the word "NEW" in it showing up by episode information.
    In understanding how it is to work, I think its appearance is such a welcome addition and I really like it, especially in the TV channel guide.

I have hated for years and years never knowing if a show was a repeat or new, especially when all you had was a newspaper tv grid to go by for years before tivo. I welcome it. So recording of repeat shows with generic descriptions is not a new problem. May be Tivo was able to update the ToDoList as dates got closer, but I am now seeing it happen and inquiring how to prevent.

14. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    OK, now I am really confused having never seen this icon. I just went into my To Do List and the only icon I see next to programs set to record are the blue circle with 2 check marks in it for programs set to record by a season pass or the yellow circle with one check mark for programs I chose to record whether or not it is new or a rerun.

I then went to Browse By Time|Favorite Channels and again saw only the same two icons for shows being auto-recorded or shows I chose to record.

This is a problem that is beyond the control of Tivo. Tivo can only deal with the information they receive from the broadcasters. If that information does not include first run or rerun information, Tivo can only list it as first run. If the broadcasters update the episode information to include first run or rerun info, Tivo will automatically remove reruns from your To Do List.

You can also miss programs if there is some 'event' that pre-empts programming. If the episode of "24" 7PM to 8PM was pre-empted and rescheduled to run the following week, you will have recorded the 'event' under the title of the "24" episode and it will not be recorded the folowing week because it will be seen as "...the same episode appears in the Now Playing List or the To Do List within 28 days of this broadcast."

Such things are unavoidable and Tivo is not really at fault. They do have some shortcomings that they don't seem willing to address. At least three or four years ago they sent a survey which included a new features wish list. One choice was to have the ability to tell Tivo to NEVER Record This Show Again and I selected it as my number one choice.

Reason? I have TAXI listed as a high priority Title auto-record wish list item. I want to record a particular episode (I want to go beyond using the exact episode title) of the Judd Hirsch classic show Taxi which is not regularly in reruns where I am. I have had to manually delete recording the Queen Latifah and Robert DiNiro movies as well as at least another 1/2 dozen movies and/or shows with Taxi in the title. It would be so great to just classify these showings as Never Record Again.

Years ago, Tivo used to send out good surveys that were aimed at improving the service, but no more. The surveys they send now are all aimed at improving their own advertising revenues.

15. timon0x31

timon0x31 New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Tustin, CA
    The new icon should ONLY be set when the record date and first air date are the same. If not its not new. TiVo seems to agree but cannot explain why it does not work that way.

16. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    I stumbled into this discussion yesterday while searching for an answer to another issue but have yet to locate any such discussion so allow me to ask about it here.

I am currently using two Tivo Premiere (R65216) sets that I bought in November of 2009. Both have been upgraded with 1 or 1.5 TB hard drives.

I do manual connections to download new programming very often, almost daily. When I go through my To Do lists on each after allowing time for the new programming to be processed, one box often shows exactly 24 hours less programming than the other. This last happened yesterday.

I did a manual connect on both sets today and now both are listing programming current to 7:30PM on Friday 3/15/13. I have no idea why these variations occur and it is really no big deal, I am just curious. Anyone have an idea?

17. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Even more confused. Right now I think the NEW icon must be the actual word NEW, but I have never seen such an icon in Tivo. I just went into my To Do list and at 10PM today on CBS, the episode of The Mentalist "Red Lacquer Nail Polish" is set to record. It is a new episode being run for the very first time ever at that time.

The only icon I see is the blue circle with two check marks, nothing indicating that it is "NEW" except the very fact that it will be recorded. Is this NEW icon something I have to opt to use and if so, where do I do that?

I am editing this right now to add this. I often use the Record by Time/Channel/Browse By Time/Favorite Channels feature. It lists all upcoming shows on my favorite channels but does not indicate whether or not any shows are set to record unless you actually click on the show to see the blue circle with 2 check marks icon. It would be great if the list placed some icon by the show indicating it is set to record.

18. Larry M

Larry M Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Central...
    The "new" icon appears in the grid guide.

19. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    More confused than ever, I've been bouncing around here for almost 10 years now and have never before heard of anything in Tivo called the "grid guide" and I have still not been able to find any "new" icon.

20. Larry M

Larry M Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Central...
    The guide you can see when you're using live TV.