TiVo groaning

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by benraymond, Jun 19, 2011.

1. benraymond

benraymond New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Hey, my Series 3 was groaning on occasion, about every 20 or 30 seconds. Now the noise is more constant.

I suspect it's my hard drive, but is there a cooling fan on board?

I was thinking about upgrading my drive anyway (have the 250 GB internal and the 500 GB MyDVRExpander. Unfortunately, I have heard that that means a divorce, and I will lose my recordings most likely.

Any updated drive recommendations? Probably am going to get a 1 TB or 1.5 TB (I know I won't get all the capacity of the 1.5)
    Looking at the Western Digital AV-GP EVDS , which I assume I will have to turn off the head parking feature.

If there is a cooling fan that's shot, is this easy to repair?

Any replies greatly appreciated,

Ben

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Could probably be either, but it sounds more like a problematic fan to me. Yes, there is a fan, on the back panel, near the power cord. Check it for dust and debris. Maybe a little piece if trash got in an got stuck. Try to blow, or vacuum it out. Open box up if you feel comfortable. Or maybe the sleeve, or a bearing is worn out. May be a challenge to find a replacement fan, but surely an exact replacement, or similar computer type fan can be found. Should be easy to relace.

You may need to go ahead and open it up anyway. Will probably be a much easier diagnosis(fan or hard drive) with it open. This is assuming there are no warranty concerns, and you like fixing things yourself. If there is a warranty, you may want to contact Tivo, or warranty company.

Or you may just want to contact Tivo initially anyway, to see what they might offer.

Good luck.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Obviously it's expressing its opinion of your tastes in television programming.:D

But seriously, if you open that unit up, watch out for the open-frame power supply.

If it's the fan and not the hard drive making noise, one of my favorite tricks is to find, of the two round labels on the fan, the one on the part of the fan that does not turn, lift one side of it, possible remove a rubber plug as well, and fill the hole the shaft comes up in with something like automobile ignition lubricant (back when cars had "points", and a "rubbing block", there used to be a brand called IgnitionLube that was, I think, molybdenum based--if you find anyone with new old stock, buy them out, its great for optical drive slide rails and other stuff that moves--, and nowadays there's something from Permatex called dielectric tune-up grease), and add a little 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil to help the grease flow between the fan shaft and the bearing, and to keep it slippery.

If any of that escapes the hole, clean it off with paper towel and alcohol (after re-inserting the rubber plug if there is one), then re-stick the sticker.