TiVo: Goodbye old friend

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lrhorer, Jul 23, 2011.

1. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, it happened. Last night my trusty old Philips Series I TiVo up and died. 'Looks like a complete hard drive failure. I bought it 'way back in 1999. I could probably try some CPR, but at this point I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I'm going to kind of miss the old guy, though. It's got a TuboCache card installed. I wonder if anyone wants one?

2. section128drunk

section128drunk Member

May 6, 2007
    if it's a lifetime unit from back then I imagine you'll have a few takers.. the Turbo cards sell regularly on ebay

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, its lifetime service was transferred to an S3 'back in 2006.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If it was purchased in 1999 it should be able to record by time and date without a sub. Both of my Sonys were built in September of 2000 (right before the cutoff date) and they're eligible.

Someone may want it for that reason.

5. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My old Philips has been gathering dust for a few years. It worked the last time I tried it, but since it can't MRV, I haven't used it. It has the turbonet card, too. That was a nice add-on. Definitely a rugged box.

6. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I have one of those to but haven't used it since 1999 I got it when TIVO first started and used it for awhile and got Directv and got there unit.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you mean does anyone want the card?

Me, me, me!

The entire unit? Already have one, wouldn't want to pay shipping on another.

Was that the original drive that died?

8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Not very usable.......My AT&T Series 2 could do that. But it became unusable. By being disconnected from mother ship, it never got the update for the new DST switch. Add general clock drift (also worsened by not being able to talk to mother ship) to that and it is becoming a door stop.

I need to remove it from my stack as it is just eating up KwH.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think the S1s that were pre-October 2000 were allowed to still call in to set the clock without a sub.

10. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    I have a series 1 sitting in my storage (unsubbed) gathering dust.
    -Shaown

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Exactly. You may have to get them to send an unlock command to it and most customer service reps don't know beans about that, but keep trying. If all else fails try a PM to one of the TiVo employees here.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I think you may want to re-read my original post. I am well aware the un-subbed 1999 S1 was able to record manually - I have been using it for four years that way. It's dead, though. It would only be good for parts, and I can't imagine a 1999 S1 sold for parts to be worth posting. I've been trying to sell a fair amount of brand new equipment on e-bay and have not yet had a buyer.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I may decide to take a look at the unit this weekend. If I decide against trying to resurrect it I'll drop you a PM.

No. I'm not sure if I have the original drive laying around, or not.

14. jimmy1

jimmy1 New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hi Irhorer. its happen some time. Hard ware mey crash some time.
    So we have always update our backup files or drivers, this prevent from data base loss,

15. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I sent you a PM.