TiVo giving me grey screens and CC errors instead of recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Joey P, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    So, very long story short.
    Got my CC and TA months ago, had problems with dropped channels and had to have it re-hit about once a month. I finally had someone come out. They said it was a signal issue and put in an amp. They told me if it happened again it was a CC issue and I should get it replaced.

After that it stopped dropping channels and the TA stopped blinking but I had an odd issue. Every single week, like clock work, it wouldn't record Breaking Bad. I was usually a couple minutes behind from watching True Blood and when I would switch over to Breaking Bad I would have a gray screen, an error that either said I wasn't authorized to received the channel or that there was a problem with the cable card and the progress bar wouldn't have any 'progress' on it even though the TiVo would still show it as recording. The only way to get it back was to stop the recording (which would be difficult to stop for some reason), change the channel and then change it back. This happened every week.
    I finally called TWC back and told them I needed a new card and TA. They came out but instead of putting the new card in they told me I had signal problems, and the amp was making them worse. They pulled the amp, cleaned up the problems, fixed the signal and said I'm good.
    Same problem next week. I called back and told them I needed a new card.
    They came out on last Friday and dropped in a new card, new TA, put the amp back. Still didn't record Breaking Bad. Also, I had the same problem with the Charlie Sheen Roast (Comedy Central HD).

It's getting old having the babysit the TiVo everytime something starts to make sure it's going to start.

Any ideas? Do I keep hassling TWC about this? They've replaced every splitter, the amp, the CC, the TA, checked the signal, been out the the house 3 times and I'm still having the same problem. If it's the TiVo, I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

Any thoughts?

I have to run, but I can fill in any details as soon as I'm back.

2. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Check a few things in the Tuning Adapter Diagnostics.

Settings and Messages -> Account and System Information -> Tuning Adapter Diagnostics -> Status Summary -> Next Page

We should be on a screen that says RF Parameters.

For Tuner, FDC and RDC you will see 3 sets of numbers. The second set is the one we care about. What values do you have for those 3 items (Tuner, FDC and RDC)?

Hit the Home option and go into PowerKey Info, then hit Next twice: what is your SubExpires date?

Home option again, go into Switch Digital Video: what is your Service Group (GP)?

Home option, Next Page, UDCP. What does "UDCP:" say? Same goes for "Authorization:", "Session Info LTS0:" and "Session Info LTS1:."

3. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Tuner -1dB
    FDC -1dB
    RDC 33dB

Sub Expires 1019.1340000 (FYI Card was just installed a few days ago)

Service GP: 55444

UDCP Connected
    Authorized Yes
    Session Info LTS0
    -Request Time 09/20@18:00:01
    -Chan/Src/CA 1112/1020/Yes
    -LastErr:ChanNotAvail
    -LastErrTime:09/20@17:59:59

Session Info LTS1
    -Request Time09/20@17:59:59
    -Chan/Src/CA 1280/14636/Yes
    -LastErr NoErr
    -LastErrTime:n/a

FTR, it's currently tuned into (not recording, but properly displaying both channel 1280 and 1112 as of 19:23. 1280 is showing a movie that started at 19:00, 1112 is showing a movie that started at 17:30.

I'm going to keep an eye on it all night. It's got a bunch of digital stuff to record (Ringer/New Girl/Tosh) and after that I'm just going to flip around in some of the digital channels. If I get more problems I'm probably going to call TWC back out here. I have to assume that if they put a new CC in and the problems got worse it's probably not the TiVo's fault. Of course I hate to have another truck roll and the inconvenience of two TWC guys mucking around behind my entertainment center and in my basement for 3 hours if I can avoid it.

4. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    You're still having signal issues. RDC target is 40dBmV.

5. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, everything's been fine for all week until just now. As usual, as I expected, instead of Breaking Bad I got a gray screen. Luckily, earlier I decided to set something else up to record at the same time which made it easier to change the channel and change back (instead of fighting with it switching to the other tuner) and the show came back on. Still means I missed the first few minutes.
    There's only two more episodes left so I'll probably just suck it up and wait to see if I have problems with other shows before I call TWC out again. Unless someone has another thought.

6. h00ligan

h00ligan New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    It's a bummer this is still an issue. Tivo is 'replacing' (I had to pay a small fee for one) my hd's specifically because they can't get this problem sorted and I was very much hoping that would be the end of it.

I can assure everyone, anymore grey screen issues (when my house has been rewired from the street in) and tivo will be out the door. I need mrv much less than actually recording shows it's meant to and the boxee box does everything online better than the tivo, so... here's hoping this is an isolated issue... and I'm sorry for the pain OP, i've dealt with the crap grey screens for four years.

btw, rdc on my tivo is 44 dbmv
    this exact same thing happened just the other night to me..on the same channel it just recorded.

7. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I bet its the Tuning Adapter. I just went through 4 of them, 2 of which were bad out of the box. They worked, sort of, they just didnt operate correctly 100%.

8. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Hmm. I'll PM you some other stuff to check with the TA.