Tivo gets no internet but sees LAN

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by deltablack, Aug 21, 2010.

1. deltablack

deltablack New Member

Apr 30, 2007

Advertisements

Firsts equipment
    I have Samsung bdc5500
    Tivo Series 2
    Linksys wrt54gs
    Arris docsis TM602G Provided by Comcast

Here is the problem. I networked the two devices(wired) to the WRT and can see my LAN but every attempt to access the WAN(internet) it fails. I have by-passed the WRT and got a successful connection for both devices and have even used a older Linksys (BEF41 V2)and managed to get it to work with no problems. After successfully configuring the network with the BEF in place I found latency issues while playing WOW that have never been there before. So I am again trying to figure out how to get this WRT working.
    things I have tried
    Port forwarding 80,443,8080
    DMZ the Static IP address of the BD Player
    Tried to setup a Static route on the WRT but could not get it configured properly(possible fix?)keep giving me error on Default gateway.
    I have re-flashed the WRT firmware
    updated firmware on the BDplayer
    disabled the security firewall on the WRT
    tried brand new cables

Whatever is preventing the BDplayer is also stopping the Tivo from connecting as well so when one is solved the other should be fixed as well.
    any help would be appreciated

thanks

2. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    This might be obvious... and probably not your problem because if you get internet from other devices it's probably not it... but for what it's worth:

In my area, with Comcast, you have to clone your original PC's (the PC Comcast first set up your connection on) MAC address on you router. Otherwise the modem will not recognize that you are "authorized" to use the internet. You'll get LAN but not internet.

3. deltablack

deltablack New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    MAC address cloning is not necessary on my Comcast system.
    but Thanks :)

4. kazz244

kazz244 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    On the basic setup page of the Linksys, try entering a name for the network. It doesn't matter what, just give it a name.

5. deltablack

deltablack New Member

Apr 30, 2007

Advertisements

I have a name for the network
    thanks

6. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    The default gateway must be the LAN-side IP address of the router. If it is not, put it in statically or fix the DHCP.

More likely, there is a DNS problem. Your devices might not be using valid DNS server addresses. I Use OpenDNS (IP addresses 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220)

7. deltablack

deltablack New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    My set up is default
    192.168.1.1= ip for gateway router
    dhcp range 100-150

the static setup I tried was
    192.168.1.121=ip
    255.255.255.0=subnet
    192.168.1.1=Default gateway

when I entered these the router would tell me the default gateway was illegal

the DNS addresses I am using is the same for all of my computers and I got it directly off the Modem. how can I check if they are ok?

8. kazz244

kazz244 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Not the ssid, but the network. You're not asked to do so in the setup.

9. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Browse to http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html

enter tivo.com as the host name and the DNS server IP address you want to test as the server name.

If it is working, it should return:
    ---------------------------------
    DNS Lookup Results

Host Type Value

tivo.com. A 208.73.180.110
    ---------------------------------------

You should be using addresses from the router, not the modem. The modem is normally transparent to the process and is usually something only the ISP needs to worry about.

10. deltablack

deltablack New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    @matt
    Just read your post but I think the open DNS worked. I just did a check and it came back OK for the Blue-ray will do the Tivo next. will check into the problem with the comcast dns though it may be a mute point.

Thank you