Tivo Games Slow...why?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Resist, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003

Advertisements

The 3 games included in my S3 have slowdown/delayed responses a lot. Anyone know why? We have the same issue on our Tivo Series 2.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The games run on TiVo's servers. Each remote key press (and release!) is sent, while graphics and commands are sent back. Poor network connectivity or overloaded servers will slow things down. The bundled games often respond poorly for me, and I have a great network connection, so I assume the servers are burdened.

You might try the third-party games at apps.tv. Reversi is particularly fast for me. ;-)

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Are you sure it's not the Tivo software itself? Not sure why the games need to be run from their server and not directly from in the Tivo unit. They aren't memory intensive games and there are only 3.

4. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    That's just how it is. Everything in the Music, Photos & More menu is a remote app, as well as several things in other menus (Swivel Search, Downloads). All add-on apps for the TiVo work this way (except those for hacked TiVos, but that's another subject).

5. spolebitski

spolebitski Member

Mar 30, 2006

Advertisements

I always wondered why some of the extra features ran extremely slow ... it sounds like many of the extras are run remotely.

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Well I think that is just lame....what was Tivo thinking? There is no reason to use a server to do single player games.

7. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    They were thinking that they could increase the security and stability of the box by prohibiting it from running any third-party code, while still making it expandable, via the HME protocol. They ended up being the primary users of HME themselves, because it allows them to develop more easily and flexibly than they can with native code on the box. So a lot of non-core functionality is done this way. Games are non-core. Sure, they could rewrite them as native; but why bother? It's not a game console. They'd also have to come up with some way to add native apps, which doesn't exist at all right now (all the UI is controlled by the monolithic tivoapp), or else bundle the games into tivoapp (which would just make it that much more hairy).

8. Dec 9, 2008 #8 of 10
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Since this is the case....

Wouldn't it be cool if they introduced games that you could play online with other TiVo users...?

TiVo: Are you listening? ;)

9. Dec 9, 2008 #9 of 10
    tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    That would be neat. or put everyones high score on everyones tivo.

10. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    There are a few available through apps.tv, like WordGrid, and my own Reversi. (PlayTeeVee's Reversi was the same way.)