TiVO future - worth it to invest in a Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gigaguy, Nov 18, 2014.

1. gigaguy

gigaguy Member

Aug 29, 2013

Advertisements

Reading comments about cablecards ending and overall media changes happening, I wonder if it's wise for me to invest in a new cableTV Roamio now?

I'd love to experience the Roamio but wonder if I want to spend much on what might not be viable in 2-3 years. I was a Sony DHG DVR user that lost functionality when TVGuide stopped. (best DVR I've ever used).

Do you think we will see changes effecting Tivo usage in 2-3 years? Seeing cheaper Tivo deals and costs go down to almost half for some new Tivo buyers from past models makes me wonder what Tivo co may be anticipating. I see Tivo is doing well in many parts of the world. I don't like the reliance on Time Warner and other cablecos..

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    CableCards aren't going away in the next 2-3 years. They will probably still be around a decade from now. If that is the only thing keeping you from buying a Roamio, you should definitely buy one.

3. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    The way I look at it is that if cable cards went away in 3 to 5 years, you will still be ahead of the deal with a lifetime Tivo purchase. I say go for it!!
    The base Roamio has an antenna option so you can always use it for "over the air" reception.

4. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    What are your other dvr choices? IT's the cable co dvr, WMC or Tivo afaik.

If it's cost you're worried about then do the math.

If worst case, in 3 years, cablecard goes kaput, and your Tivo is worth nothing then what is your cost over those 3 years?

For tivo, you can find a deal on a Roamio Plus with lifetime for $600 plus cost of Ebay code. That's about $18/mo over 3 years plus cost of cablecard which is anywhere from $0-$5/mo.

A cable co dvr is going to be $14-$20/mo.

WMC costs and quality wildly vary. But I think to build a new WMC pc that is fairly quiet and efficient and compact and decent looking it will cost as much as a deal on a Roamio Plus. So figure on similar costs there as Tivo.

I would call the monthly cost of the average cable co dvr and a Tivo a wash. And so, worst case, you would be paying more for your Tivo over 3 years at the monthly rate equal to your cablecard's monthly rental. OR total worst case ~$150 more over 3 years.

And a Tivo is not an investment. IT's an expense.

5. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

If buying a TiVo saves you money over the long run, then it is an investment. Your return on investment is the money you save over renting the cable company's DVR.

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think you have been brainwashed by the great American Marketing Machine. Spending money on a consumer product is not an investment, it is an expenditure. Under your logic spending $500 on a prostitute instead of $1000 on a higher cost one, becomes an "investment" because it cost you less :rolleyes: - I think not.

7. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    No, it would be more like if you were spending $1,000 a month on prostitutes, and instead you were able to buy a realistic sex robot for $20,000 so you no longer have to hire prostitutes.

But let's use another example. If a business that uses $1,000 of electricity off the grid decides to invest $50,000 in solar panels so it no longer has to buy electricity off the grid. That is still a capital investment, even though it is only reducing its expenses rather than generating a profit on its own.

8. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    The drift in this thread is taking a most interesting turn. Hookers and sexbots!

9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I will have to think on that one... It is cheaper for the same outcome. :)

10. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006

Can I merely add: :D

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I don't disagree with your examples of how spending money in a certain way (buying a TiVo or solar panels) may reduce one's cost to obtain a wanted product (a DVR or electricity) versus other methods of obtaining those products (renting DVR from cable provider or buying electricity from an electric company).

However using the words "Invest/ing" or "Investment" when it comes to a consumer purchase is a miss use of the words and was started as away for marketers to make spending money sound less like spending money and therefor more acceptable.

General definitions (as the words pertain to money):
    Invest: To put (money) to use, by purchase or expenditure, in something offering potential profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value. ​
    Investment: The investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value. ​

I will concede at this point that marketing has successfully gotten many/most? people to accept many forms of consumer spending as some type of "investment" as it does help many people feel better (gives them a justification) about spending money.

12. gigaguy

gigaguy Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Thanks for the input. I used Sony DHG DVRs for 7-8 years but in 2013 I tried out a used Premiere ($75) w/slide and then added an unused, boxed XL4. (I got the $99 PLS on the used Premiere when I set up the lifetimed XL4, which was a steal! @ $225 and is still under warr.- all for $450 total outlay. all from craigslist.

I'm considering selling a Premiere and getting a Roamio, which will cost a lot more than the Premieres did so I was wondering Tivo's future. The big Tivo discounts and the recent Mini deal had me wondering why the drops in pricing.

Not sure I want to spend another $500 or more, have to see what a used P4 basic with lifetime may sell for, maybe $200-250? It has a 1TB WD ext HDD on it.

13. Sixto

Sixto Member TCF Club

Sep 16, 2005
    I thought the same a year ago. What if, what if.

As I look back, now just noticing that I activated all 7 boxes these two weeks a year ago, it was a fabulous decision.

FiOS/Roamio has been A+, and I'm a hard grader.

Just perfect, and with each of these recent releases it gets better.

14. Kingpcgeek

Kingpcgeek Couch Potato

Feb 6, 2012
    Basin of...
    CableCards are not going anywhere considering that seven years ago the FCC mandated that all new cables boxes must use a CableCard. You rent a DVR from the cable company or buy a TiVo, they are going to use the same CableCard.

15. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I don't think that's the definition of investment.

Your return on investment is negative on a Tivo.

16. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If one purchased a TiVo to make or save a lot of money don't do it, one should purchases a TiVo for the interface (UI) and the Mini (for some the streaming also) The best alterative to TiVo is the cable co.s DVR and for some it may be the best solution, but for me and many on this Forum we like TiVo over the cable co DVR for many reasons not related just to money.

17. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    A tivo can be a least cost DVR, but it is a cost. It is not necessarily the least cost DVR in all scenarios (OTA and certain cablecos), which it part of the problem of promoting the service.

18. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    As I just posted. money should not be the main reason one would purchase a TiVo, it the UI, expandable, streaming, other apps, etc.

19. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Even if the Comcast merger does not go through and TWC somehow is allowed to kill CableCard support, the TiVo would have paid for itself, and you could still sell it to a Comcast user, or if it's the base model, for OTA.

20. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    I'd be more inclined to expect (maybe hope) Cable Companies (rather than cards) go away :D.