TiVo Future Focuses On TV Software Packages

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pokemon_Dad, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Via MediaPost.com, 5 minutes ago:

For TiVo, the future will be less about DVRs and more about creating advanced TV software packages for cable systems and other pay TV operators that integrate all forms of on-demand content.

That's according to TiVo CEO Tom Rogers, who spoke to investors at the Goldman Sachs "Communacopia" Conference Tuesday in New York.

More:
    http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=158974

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I think TiVo will be one of the best at smart TV but I think Google, Intel, Sony, Logitech, etc. are going to destroy the competition with Google TV.

3. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    The day will come when cable/satellite companies will be a thing of the past and all entertainment will be on demand and come via the Internet. Wireless or otherwise...

A truly smart TV will package the endless world of content into a simple to operate GUI so that anyone can experience the overwhelming vastness of choices in a stress free, easy to use environment...

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I am not surprised. They have never been able to get this business to work even when they had a great product. It's about time they change direction or they will all be out of jobs. Too bad they couldn't sell off the DVR business to more competent businessmen.

5. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    I heard they are splitting their business in two: TiVo and DVRster. Wow!

6. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Ha! Good one.

7. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Is Mr. Rogers aware of how infrequently they update their 'software packages' ? He seems to think he runs a software company, but it doesn't write very much software.

Methinks he runs a marketing company and/or a patent-holding company.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts

I heard they were calling it Slowster.

9. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Actually, content owners and providers are turning the other direction to preserve the cable, sat, FiOS, AT&T IPTV model because they make lots of money there and NOT much in the On-Line world. Fox, HBO2Go and MORE on the way now require a SUBSCRIPTION via MVPD/MSO before being able to view ANY of their content (for FOX today, that will get you instant viewing, but without a subscription via MVPD's you have to wait 8 days).

Starz walked away from a mountain of $$ Netflix offered. Starz and the others have discovered there just isn't enough $$ to be made there as in the old models and they are NOT interested in eroding that value they have with the MVPD's.

Friday will see a press conference with Blockbuster launchin a Netflix like streaming service. Oh, and STARZ is reported to be available on the new Blockbuster. Oh, and Blockbuster is owned by Dish Network who have leverage with content owners and providers, while Netflix, as one example have NONE.

Sadly, the day will come with all the cable and sat DVR's or boxes function as high capacity, powerful STREAMERS that allow viewing the content based upon your already existing subscriptions to the MVPD packages, or an extra fee for those NOT subscribing to such channels OWNED by the content owners or providers. I'm not saying I prefer that future, just that it really is the future, just as the vast majority of DVR's in homes are the ones provided by the MVPD's, not 3rd parties such as TiVo.

10. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I sure can't predict the future but my hope is the networks can survive and I can still use an antenna on the roof and a DVR. I only recently started using the internet for a significant percentage of my viewing, about 10%, and for convenience and cost, it is a great option. Apparently TiVo knows the DVR doesn't have a bright future and is trying to build a business to survive. I am getting ready to go out for a 3.5 mile walk and will take my portable CD player with me as I always do, I haven't even moved to the convenience of MP3 to get an idea of how far behind I am. Although I will participate by using smart TV products, I am not likely to leave Blu-ray, DVD, and a DVR behind to use these services and will just use internet streaming as a supplemental option to watch what I want when I want to watch it.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well I have no desire for a Max Headroom world. So the more choices and control we have the better.

I want everything we have (OTA, Cable, Satellite, DVD/blu-ray, Movie theaters, & Internet streaming/downloads) to continue and expand.

I want to be able to control when and what I watch and I want it at many price points from Free (add supported) to Premium pay per view.

I see OTA and a DVR playing an important role in this (for me). I also see "streaming" continue to increase in importance. However I have no desire to give up having blu-ray disks or movie theaters and may as some point want a cable/satellite provider again.

Again more control & more choice = BETTER

Thanks,

12. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Certainly TiVo has never been able to operate profitably but neither has any other similarly structured company selling DVRs and providing service for DVRs. The TiVo products are still great in my estimation although the new DirecTV DVR looks ordinary compared to the competition and nothing special. The Premiere and Elite products both appear to me to be the best products in their classes.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Not in it's curent form. In it's curent form it's the worst media player I've ever used. Heck they can't even get the audio output working properly over HDMI. It made listening to content like I was back in the 80's when I only used two speakers, not like the last twenty years when I've been using six to eight speakers.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Exactly, the problem is the structure.

Most people have DVR's from their providers. That is a successful model. Tivo hasn't been able to adapt to it.

15. RealityCheck

RealityCheck New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Would someone please explain what software platform TiVo plans to leverage? I'm sorry, but I don't see a well documented API to develop for. TiVo for all intents and purposes is a Linux Core OS with a poorly written application serving on top. Adobe Air/Flash may be great for mini apps, but I doubt you'll ever see anything as polished as Android, Windows Phone 7 or iOS can deliver.

TiVo has a nice DVR interface, mostly because nobody else has bothered to challenge them. What makes TiVo's interface any better than the rest with no DVR capability? Other companies are developing "Smart TV" interfaces (Boxee, Google), and they seem more committed to improving their product. Plus, if you're using an MVPD set top box, you'll rarely see the TiVo UI. I just see this market as one that's too volatile to bank on. TiVo as it is sucks as an "over the top" video platform. This seems like an end game strategy to me.

TiVo needs a change in leadership. Tom Rogers might have been a good choice when TiVo was pursing relationships with MVPDs, but the man is a lousy consumer electronics executive. TiVo needs to depose him and find new leadership if they hope to maintain, let alone gain traction in any market at this point. An MVPD Insider is useless if the target won't listen.

16. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006

This.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    And why would anyone be surprised by this? They're not going to let that MVPD subscriber money get pissed away with all-you-can-eat, low-cost streaming.