Tivo functionality without service

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by spinJR, Jan 26, 2012.

1. spinJR

spinJR Member

Jan 26, 2003
    New Jersey
    i have a question on transferring of shows...

I am itching to upgrade a HD Tivo to a Tivo premiere, i dont have a compelling reason but i am looking for one.

assume i get an tivo premiere and move my HD tivo to the basement in front of my treadmill. this particular HD tivo wont have service but i dont care to watch tv but rather have the ability to transfer recordings from the Tivo premier boxes to it.

this will allow me to just transfer a show while i run. i dont care about live tv or anything else on that basement tv but if i can transfer i'd upgrade.

so in summary, do you need service for transfer functionality from a service box to a non-service box.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    yes you need service

3. spinJR

spinJR Member

Jan 26, 2003
    New Jersey
    i figured that... thanks for the reply

4. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    If you had an old series one Tivo you might be able to use it like a VCR without service, if the software wasn't updated yet to the MUST HAVE SERVICE update patch.

However, you'll want your Tivo to call into the mothership to get the time and channels. Oh well.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Except the OP is specifically asking about transferring between Tivos, that always requires service.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Many have gotten Premieres and then gone to cancel HDs and gotten the $99 lifetime offer.

There's at least one thread around here about that.

You might even be able to lifetime that HD and use it to get the Premiere at $14.95 per month instead of $19.95