Tivo Freeze

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jbdecker, Oct 15, 2005.

1. jbdecker

jbdecker Tivomofo

Feb 28, 2002
    Chicago
    Hi,

My family purchased a series 2 for my grandmother over a year ago and it's freezing up almost every day. She is unpluging it and it's fine for a day or so.

I'm assuming that it's a bad hard drive since the temp is fine. It's not in a cabinet. The problem is that we purchased a lifetime subscription for the unit.

In order to keep the lifetime is my only option replacing the hard drive myself and seeing if that is really the problem? Or will Tivo allow me to transfer to a new unit if I promise that the old one isn't working? :)

Thanks for any input.

-J

2. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California
    Lifetime status is tied to the system board, not the hard drive.

Since it's over a year old, I assume the unit is out of warranty by now so you might as well try fixing it yourself.

Based on your description it probably is the hard drive that's bad, but you can verify this without replacing the drive. Just pull the drive and download the DOS-based diagnostic utility from the drive's manufacturer. They have both floppy and bootable CD images.

Avoid booting Windows with a TiVo drive if you can help it. Windows can write a signature to the drive that the TiVo won't understand.

If the drive really is bad, you can get a replacement from one of the forum sponsors (banner ads at top of this page) or get a bare drive and get InstantCake from PTV Upgrade (one of the sponsors).

3. jbdecker

jbdecker Tivomofo

Feb 28, 2002
    Chicago
    Thanks for the help. I'll get the tivo and try running some diag's on the drive.

I'll let ya know what happens

4. jbdecker

jbdecker Tivomofo

Feb 28, 2002
    Chicago
    OK...finally ran a diag on the drive. I used the western digital windows based drive diag's on it and it passed the quick test and the full test.

Is the windows program as reliable as the dos based one?

Anything else I should try since it appears the drive is not the problem?

Thanks

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    The drive could actually still be the problem. The drive manufacturer's diagnostic utilities don't always catch problems that impact our Tivos. The DOS utilities are usually more thorough than the Windows utilities. SpinRite can often solve subtle drive problems.

6. jbdecker

jbdecker Tivomofo

Feb 28, 2002
    Chicago
    just did the dos based tests and both came up no errors.

Now the question is if SpinRite is justified paying for or is there a problem with the tivo itself?

Thanks for any help. I was assuming that the diag's would immediatly say there was a problem with the hd.

7. duzzy

duzzy New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    sf
    my tivo is also "frozen" red and green lights always on....no tivo screen...no picture at all..remote buttons do nothing...batteries are ok and infrared signal is being sent...I don' want to lose about 30 saved hours! I need help..Tivo folks have no clue...Yes, I've unplugged both phone and power cords..no change..
    thanx for any help,
    duzzy

8. jbdecker

jbdecker Tivomofo

Feb 28, 2002
    Chicago
    ok..before you hijack the thread. Have you run diag's on the hard drive? I can't help you if you have and had no errors but you didn't mention that in your post.

9. mmcfadden

mmcfadden New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    I have a TIVO that has been randomly freezing up on me for about a year. My TIVO would lock up and not record or allow me to watch live TV. I think I finally found out the problem and I hope this helps others.

I plugging multiple electronic devices into a surge protector power strip which is a good Idea. However this means that there is potentially less power to each device. I went ahead and plugged my TIVO directly into the wall and it hasn't frozen up a few months now. I am crossing my fingers that this is a permanent fix. Some electronics don't like having even a little less power. I have experienced major problems with a fax machine plugged into a power strip surge protector for example. Try it out and let me know how it goes.

10. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Huh ? Never heard that one before.
    :confused:

Not really true. The power strip does not limit the power to each unit.

11. mmcfadden

mmcfadden New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Let me share my experience with power strips.

I have an HP fax machine and it was having all kinds of intermittent problems so I called HP tech support. They told me to plug it directly into the wall. I am generally hesitant to do this because I prefer to use a surge protector. They told me that to a small degree using a power strip with multiple devices will limit the power to all of the devices. They said this will have the potential to cause problems especially for the fax machine because of the power requirements. I tried it out and plugged it directly into the wall and there were no more problems. I am just saying that there might be something to it.

I am now plugging my TIVO directly into the wall and I have since had no problems with my TIVO freezing we will see how long it lasts.

Are you an electrician?

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't true. I am just sharing my experience with this one. If you have a contradicting experience or knowledge I would like to hear about it.

12. mmcfadden

mmcfadden New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    I found a resource online that would seem to back up my experience and I am sure there are others.

FCIC Indoor electrical safety check(put this in google to find article)
    "Power strips and surge suppressors don't provide more power to a location, just more access to the same limited capacity of the circuit into which it is connected."

13. jbdecker

jbdecker Tivomofo

Feb 28, 2002
    Chicago
    I'll definetly give this a shot. It's still happening after finding no problems on the hard drive but it IS plugged into a full strip. I used the unit at my house for two weeks and never had it freeze on me. If it turns out that they experience no more lock-ups then it's probably time for a more expensive power strip. At least more than the 0.49 cent strip they are using now. Thanks for the troubleshooting.

14. garygid

garygid New Member

Oct 9, 2006
    If you have TIVO software 7.3.1 on a Series 2 Tivo Standalone unit (Tivo says that everybody does by now), try unplugging whatever from the USB port and see if that works.

That seemed to stop the freezes and broken-up recordings on my TCD24004A (which wae upgraded at purchase to two 120 GB HDs).

Cheers, GG

PS: I tried the Pause 57 diagnostic mode, and my Tivo is now rebooting about once each 70 or 80 seconds - which tivo tech support says is "normal".
    But, they say, if it does not stop after 4 hours of being left undisturbed, then it
    is necesary to replace the box (an exchange at Tivo is only $150, which also transfers the Lifetime Subscription to the new box).

But, before I exchange, they say I might as well try to re-write the HDs (which I could possibly use again in my "new" unit anyway).
    Note: I have to return a HD with the exchange, at least as large as the original.
    Was the original HD for a 40-hour Tivo actually a 40GB drive?

I will try the re-write with InstantCake, which installs 7.2.0 software.

Also, I just got two Maxtor 200 GB HDs at Staples for $50 (+ tax) each after rebate. I think they are on sale until 14 Oct 2006. I will use these drives if it looks like any HD problems on the current 120 GB drives.