Tivo for TWC in So Cal

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mikeinsane82, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mikeinsane82

mikeinsane82 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Hey Guys,

I moved into a townhouse with an HOA that has a bulk service package, which provides Time Warner cable. I spoke with a rep and they said I get a free HD receiver to use as part of the deal, which i have to pick up from the local office. I have had Time Warner before but i dont care for their DVR service so i was thinking about getting Tivo instead. Would the HD receivaer already have a cablecard in it so i wouldnt have to purchase another one?

Also, aside from getting an M-card for the Tivo, do i need a tuner adaptor?

Is there anything i need or should be concerned about?

Thanks!:)

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can't remove a cablecard from the TW provided box. And yes, most TW areas use tuning adapters. You should be able to pick both up from the local office. Usually, the office provisions the tuning adapter, so you just need to call the TW cablecard hotline to activate the cablecard once you have it installed.

3. Saxion

Saxion Substantive Member

Sep 17, 2006
    San Diego
    And, if a "free" HD receiver would otherwise be included in your package but you use a TiVo instead, TWC must give you a credit on your bill equal to the rental cost for one of their set top boxes (around $5). If you can, get it in writing that a "free" HD receiver would otherwise be included, so you can refer to it when applying for your credit. You can find out more about this credit here. You can also order CableCARDs and Tuning Adapters at that link, but it's faster to pick them up as rainwater suggested.

4. mikeinsane82

mikeinsane82 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    thanks for the help guys. I'll be keeping the free hd receiver because i also have a tv in the bedroom and will use it there. I will have the Tivo in the living room.