Tivo for OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kturcotte, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1 of 38
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME

Advertisements

I'm considering getting an HD Tivo just for OTA. How good is the tuner? What generation is it?
    I'm currently using Directv's HD DVR, but I used to use the DirecTivos. What's changed/different between the 2? Can you still enable 30 second skip? Can you still have the clock display in the corner? Do they offer any RF remotes?

2. Jan 3, 2009 #2 of 38
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The current Series 3s have no chance of ever being used with satellite. They're for OTA and cable only. That's one major difference between them and a DirecTiVo.

As a side point, TiVo and DirecTV have gotten nicey nice again and there's a whole new type of DirecTiVo not far down the road that will be able to make use of the newer HD channels DirecTV is offering.

3. Jan 3, 2009 #3 of 38
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I'm looking at going OTA only.

4. Jan 3, 2009 #4 of 38
    Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    Yes you can use it for OTA only. The tuner is as good as the tuner in my TV. Mind you my TV is a 2006 model.

5. Jan 3, 2009 #5 of 38
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

Technically, I don't know how good it it. However, I prefer OTA for local channels to cable when I can get a good signal with my indoor antenna. OTA sound just seems a bit better.

6. Jan 3, 2009 #6 of 38
    kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    I use mine OTA only, I think the tuner is decent, the only thing I've seen is I have a low power station that requires an amp to receive that other tuners I have don't when connected directly to the antenna. I split my antenna feed to multiple rooms so I need an amp anyway.

This station is running at 15Kw on channel 27 with a station on 26 running at 1000Kw and could just be an oddball situation.

7. Jan 3, 2009 #7 of 38
    jbsmith_05

jbsmith_05 New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    I just got the HD tivo for the sole purpose of OTA channels. I will say that the tuner is decent however I don't believe its as good as the one in my tv (Samsung A530 - 2008 mfg date).

I have the tivo set to the 'Native' resolution setting where it is supposed to play the resolution that it receives from the OTA channel. I have noticed that sometimes it doesnt detect the correct resolution - meaning it shows on the info screen as 720p and even sometimes 480i when i know for a fact that the station is broadcasting in 1080i. This seems to be intermittant and most of the time the tivo corrects itself after a few min - like if i switch the channel and then back. So I dont know if it just takes some time to 'detect' or what. I wouldnt think so because my signal strength is all up in the 90-100% range and my SNR is 31 or lower.

FYI this is somewhat of a double post becuase i have asked the question about the resolution on a separate thread.

8. Jan 3, 2009 #8 of 38
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I think I'm going to get one. What about the 30 second skip and the clock in the corner? Any RF remotes?

9. Jan 3, 2009 #9 of 38
    jbsmith_05

jbsmith_05 New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    seems like i recall reading somewhere else that the 30s and clock still work, however i havent tried it as I dont have much use for those features.

10. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Unless you're sitting at the station next to the engineer you won't 'know' what they're broadcasting at.

For example, local stations often insert commercial blocks at 480 and the revert back to 1080 (or 720 if it's fox). Unless the guy falls asleep at the switch. Happens all the time. It just happened on the new year's day NHL game, several complaints over on AVSForum that it was SD up until the puck dropped, although it was in HD (and was in many cities) for all of the pregrame. Just depends how on top of things the local affiliate is.

11. jbsmith_05

jbsmith_05 New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Understandable, however it was for tonights NFL wild card games...when i switched my tv source to just be straight antenna and bypass the tivo it was obviously a better picture and the tv said 1080 while the tivo was stating 480.

12. jbsmith_05

jbsmith_05 New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    On a side note I find it hard to believe that the major networks have some person sitting at a terminal switching back and forth all day/night.

But hey what do i know i am not in broadcasting - just figured this was all run by computer.

13. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Then I would suggest your TiVo is having issues. I've been flipping back and forth between the wild card games (OTA antenna) and hockey and not once has it told me its 480.

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Don't know about RF remotes, but you can still toggle the 30 sec skip and the onscreen clock.

15. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    I've been OTA for about 6 months now and am very happy with it. I found that about 90% of the shows I record are on free tv. Any cable shows I want I just download from eztv.it. I have an outdoor antenna with a 10 foot mast as I am more than 40 miles from the towers. I get all the local HD broadcasts. The tuner in all three of my tivos, HD, S3 and S2 pull in the channels very well. Saving more than $50 a month is well worth downloading a show here and there. The only thing I will miss is watching the Red Sox retaking their rightful place atop the AL East this summer;). good luck and enjoy your new Tivo with FREE OTA.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    This does not happen at our local stations. It stays at 720P or 1080i depending on the stations broadcast resolution.

17. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    No TiVo DVR has ever or currently has RF remote capability (apart from my TiVo which I hacked to accept a UHF receiver).

You can use various RF extender systems though.

18. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Stations don't switch resolution for commercials. They may switch to an SD feed, but that feed is then upconverted to 720p or 1080i, whichever is standard for the station. There is no change at the viewer's end.

The wrong resolution on initial tune on TiVos is just a bug. If you clear the info, then pull it up again, it will show the correct resolution.

19. ilikeyoureyes

ilikeyoureyes New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I haven't seen it happen on an OTA station, but my espnhd on cable does switch to 480i on local commercials consistently. It makes it a real pita when fast forwarding through commercials because my tivo goes black for a second to switch resolutions.

20. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Go into your video settings and change it from 480 fixed to something else...