Tivo for little used additional rooms

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lloydp211, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1 of 15
    lloydp211

lloydp211 Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I have a Roamio Plus and want to have TiVo use in my bedroom and a guest bedroom. I have the coax in those rooms so I could use TiVo Minis, but they are not used very much, especially the guest bedroom. And of course the Minis might kick in some more fees from Mediacom.

Since those rooms are so lightly used for tv viewing, I'm thinking of a FireTV for those rooms and use in-house streaming.

So how well does that work, specifically on the FireTV, but other suggestions are welcome if they are better for this use.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Jul 4, 2017 #2 of 15
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    You could get a "mobile" mini.... An extra mini that is setup for quick disconnect and moving.

lloydp211 likes this.
  3. Jul 4, 2017 #3 of 15
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Many threads about this already. But the gist is FireTV app works very poorly, and won't give you live TV of course. Spend a few more bucks and get some Minis. Fire Stick is very cheap if you want to try it for yourself anyway.

Additional Minis couldn't possibly result in more Mediacom fees.

4. Jul 4, 2017 #4 of 15
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Question, are you using your own Tivo or one rented from Mediacom? If you own it, you can buy your own minis but if renting your Tivo from Mediacom....you will have to rent their minis too.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. Jul 4, 2017 #5 of 15
    lloydp211

lloydp211 Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I own the Roamio. Started with their Xstream product, but it very limiting compared to the retail TiVo. No streaming in house or out, no ad skip and a subset of the streaming apps, even missing Hulu and Amazon.

6. Jul 4, 2017 #6 of 15
    lloydp211

lloydp211 Member

Nov 10, 2015
    With Mediacom nothing is a given!

Is there enough difference between the two versions of the mini to be a concern?

7. Jul 4, 2017 #7 of 15
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    See here.

And given you're using your own retail TiVo DVR, you'll also need retail Minis on the same TiVo.com account as the DVR. (i.e. Mediacom Minis aren't an option, but then that's a plus since you won't have to eat their associated monthly fee.)

8. Jul 4, 2017 #8 of 15
    twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    It's true!
    Having Mediacom myself (though no mini), I can say that there shouldn't be any additional fees. I've always had cable + Mediacom. The only exception to this would be if you needed a cable card. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Of course, your local may charge for extra outlets, so I'd ask about that, however you can always use a splitter and work around that :)

9. Jul 4, 2017 #9 of 15
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Understood. But seriously, it is utterly impossible for them to justify charging for something entirely unrelated to your service. How are they even going to know what electronics exist in your house? They could no more charge you for a Mini than they could charge you for a toaster. They could certainly try to charge an additional outlet fee for a second Tivo with a second cable card, but that's an entirely different animal than a Mini.

Also many threads about Mini versions. One has an RF remote, the other an IR only remote, usually about $20 difference. IR works perfectly fine unless you hide the Mini really well. Mine is mounted on the back of my TV and still picks up IR.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    To be clear, as the above-linked post details, the later v2 Mini and its remote can communicate via either RF *or* IR; and RF functionality can be added to a v1 Mini via a special USB dongle (and associated RF-capable TiVo remote).

11. lloydp211

lloydp211 Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks for all the feedback, links and suggestions, they are appreciated.

I'll most likely get a couple Minis and be done with it. I've got the coax run and ready to be connected, so it should be dead simple to get setup.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You'll want to ensure a "PoE" MoCA filter is installed on the input to your initial splitter (at the top of your MoCA coax tree), to secure and strengthen your MoCA/coax network. More on "PoE" MoCA filters >here<.

Hopefully your existing coax splitters will work, but upgrades to MoCA-compatible components is an option if having trouble getting connected or MoCA performance is less than expected.

13. lloydp211

lloydp211 Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Initially Mediacom had installed their TiVo and 2 Minis, so I would think that everything is in place to just plug and go. Is that not correct?

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, if you previously had a MoCA network in place, yeah, you should be in great shape. I'd still want to verify that the "PoE" MoCA filter is installed. (Better safe...)

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Finally decided on getting one Mini for the master bedroom and using in-house streaming for the almost never used guest bedroom. That same streaming will be used with the small TV from that room outside on the patio. I think it will make a good mix.