TiVo for Directv

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by camelDoyle, Mar 29, 2009.

1. camelDoyle

camelDoyle New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I purchased a new HD Tv. My standard Tivo does not work with it. Does anyone know anyhing about the rumors of a new Tivo model soon for DirecTv?

2. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    The only thing that is known about the upcoming HD TiVo for DirecTV is that it is supposed to be out by the end of this year, which probably means sometime in 2010.

3. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    DirecTV has promised and failed to deliver just about all announcements they've made in recent years. Until they actually ship something don't bet on anything ever actually coming to market. Even stuff they demo fails to ever get delivered.

I jumped ship from DirecTV and went with FIOS using TivoHDs and CableCards. Now at least I can take my Tivos to another carrier should I want to change. With DirecTV devices you're stuck with DirecTV service. You can't use their gear with any other carriers. This is not a good strategy unless you want to get trapped with a sole provider.

4. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yeah, but you paid for your TiVo(s) and pay a monthly fee for each.... I don't feel "locked in" when I didn't have to pay for the equipment, and I only pay $6/month for all 4 DVRs in my house....

5. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Of course there is a resale market for the Tivo's and many of us not using Direct do not have a long-term contract with the service provider, meaning we can shop around.:p

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Fios requires a 1 to 2 year contract so while tempting to make the switch I figure I can hold out for another year. If we don't see the Directivo by then it may be time to look into Fios again. At the same time maybe by then we will see some additional features or new Tivo hardware that really gets excited.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    To get this thread back on topic.

Yes, a new DirecTV HD DVR with Tivo is in the works.

BTW, your standard TiVo will work with the new HDTV, just not in HD. :)

8. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Not even re-MOTE-ly true.

Of course you could prove me wrong by listing what you say they claimed but did not deliver, but too late, they have announced MPEG-4, Ka sats with increased capacity, the HD DVR+ platform, LIL in HD in all major markets, as well as that they would launch numerous HD CONUS channels well before anyone else and become far and away the continuing HD leader among vendors.

All of that came true, and all were significant to a majority of customers.

What's on your important scary list that would be enough to push that into the category of "failed to deliver on just about all announcements" and make it insignificant?