1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo for Antannae

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by LakeGirl, Jun 13, 2018.

1. LakeGirl

LakeGirl New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    I am cutting cable, and have read conflicting information on what to get to record my favorite shows. Is it necessary to get the Tivo Roamio OTA (or preferable)? And is a subscription absolutely required? My whole point was to get away from those monthly costs.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    All Tivos require a Tivo service subscription whether its monthly, yearly, or lifetime (called all-in now).

The Roamio OTA includes a lifetime service in its offer.

4. warrenn

warrenn Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    There are many DVRs which can record from antenna. The quality of the device will often be relative to the price. There are some cheapo DVRs on amazon that are only about $35, but they are pretty primitive. I would only recommend them if you didn't care too much about watching OTA content. But if you want something that has a good guide, multiple tuners, and will record reliably, then get a Tivo. You'll pay for service either monthly or as a one-time fee as lifetime service. The Roamio OTA has a bundle where you get the unit and lifetime service for one fee. It may seem like a lot to pay, but that premium price means you'll have worry-free OTA recording.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Tivo can only record OTA content. Streaming content--like from Netflix and Amazon--cannot be recorded. That may already seem obvious, but sometimes people think Tivo will be a DVR for their streaming content as well.

5. daveh88

daveh88 New Member

May 19, 2018
    Florida
    If you want to watch and record OTA content with ease then the Roamio OTA is the way to go. We just ditched cable two months ago. We have a Roamio OTA and two minis and have been happy with the decision.

6. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah...short answer is to get a TiVo Roamio OTA for $400.00. This device allows you to DVR/record OTA content from your antenna. Of course, this assumes that you can get good reception from an antenna.

For $400.00 you get lifetime service, which normally costs $550.00 by itself. The DVR has four tuners and a 1TB drive which records about 150 hours of HD content. You can buy a larger drive if you need more capacity.

IIRC, I was able to get my lifetime subscription (when it was not bundled like it is with the Roamio OTA above) on a special sale for $350.00. So even if you do the ROI based the sale price that I got a long, long time ago, the DVR is still only costing you an additional $50.00.

$400.00 is a solid value. Of course, if you can find it on sale, the value becomes even more solid... :)

As mentioned in a previous post, the DVR does not record streaming content, and you can only record what you can receive. If your antenna requires a directional rotary to get all of your channels, the solution won't be able to rotate your antenna in preparation for recording your content. So a fixed directional antenna is going to be the ideal solution.

7. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    "Antennae" is not the plural of antenna. It refers to insect "feelers."

But, it does make one wonder if the TiVo guy has antennas or antennae.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's variable. I had Latin in high school, so I use antennae.
    Antennae vs. antennas - Grammarist

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'm confused; your cited reference would seem to contradict your assertion.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm not perfect. Perhaps I use the wrong link.

11. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I don't think it's the link that's wrong. ;)

But continue to use the latin form if you like; it doesn't confuse anyone and it is unambiguous. Just so long as you don't use try to pretend "octopus" is a latin word.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TCF is an international site, so no one country's/region's rules would strictly apply, allowing both usagae.

Mikeguy and JoeKustra like this.
  13. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    krkaufman, there are quite a few other TCF threads that could use your arbitration and conflict resolution skills.

14. LakeGirl

LakeGirl New Member

Jun 13, 2018

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its required for Guide, function, nearly everything.

16. daveh88

daveh88 New Member

May 19, 2018
    Florida
    Yes a subscription is needed. It is worth it for everything you can do.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  17. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    If you're into hacking AND if you've got a DirecTV dish on your roof, or can throw a simple one up there, it's possible to modify an old DirecTV/Tivo HR10-250 to get full OTA. The dish is needed for guide data; obviously the OTA itself comes in via standard antenna.

The HR10-250 was totally abandoned for the purpose for which it was sold, so hacking is not an ethical issue (your own due diligence is required for legality).

Big problem is that "the other place" forum is long in disarray and the required files are probably not there in the archives or will be very difficult to find. It is possible to "glitch" the HR10-250 into the appropriate status totally without hacking but it's art rather than science and you need some old cards, at least one married to the machine and at least one not married but with the local tiers set (don't need to be current).

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    As mentioned in posts above, the Roamio OTA price includes the All-in subscription cost so no further subscription payments are required.

Scott

19. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    There are some used Roamio OTA's that do not have lifetime service. I think when the Roamio OTA was first released, you couldn't even purchase lifetime service. I bought one on craigslist for $25 as a backup for my lifetime Roamio.

20. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    That's correct. If buying a Roamio OTA, best to make sure it has Lifetime (if that's what's wanted) and is not one of the early Roamio OTAs without Lifetime.