Tivo & FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lanric, Sep 20, 2007.

1. lanric

lanric New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    I just installed FIOS. I have a Series 2 as well as a Humax Tivo Box. On one TV, I have the series 2 hooked up, but not through the FIOS TV box. The Tivo works fine (although just getting limited basic channels). It is recognized on my home network (i.e. viewable in Tivo Desktop) without issue.

The Humax Tivo is connected through the Motorola FIOS TV box. This Tivo will connect to the internet properly to update, although I can not seem to get it to be recognized on the home network (as such, nor in Tivo Desktop for that matter or viewable on the other Tivo box).

Is there something funky with FIOS that if you connect through the box, networking options become disabled?

Thanks.

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The program source should have absolutely no affect on the networking functions. Just make sure the Tivo is set up properly for the FIOS router. I'm not familiar with the Humax boxes so I have no idea what's involved.

3. lanric

lanric New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Verizon is saying they can't support Tivo...I am wondering if somehow hooking through the Verizon Box, somehow blocks the home network on the Verizon FIOS internet going into the Tivo.

4. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Right. The TiVo doesn't really care that it is hooked up to a FIOS "cable" box. That doesn't affect the home networking at all. (How could it? The network cable doesn't go to the FIOS "cable box", only the A/V cables do.)

How is the Humax connected to your home network? Ethernet cable or a wireless adaptor?

If ethernet: Is it plugged into the same switch as your other TiVo? Or somewhere else?
    If wireless: what adaptor are you using?

5. jeff26xx00

jeff26xx00 New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I have verizon fios... and a series 2 tivo.... i have NO issues... i had cablevision before and hooked up the fios the same way as the cablevision

6. lanric

lanric New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    I am using Ethernet and going into same switch as the other Tivo and PC's.

7. Oct 1, 2007 #7 of 13
    jmpivo

jmpivo Felxer

Mar 21, 2005
    Bon Air, VA
    Hey All,

Started w/FiOS internet and just added FiOSTV and love it.

My Office = default stb and family room = fios dvr/hd box.

My Tivo s2 was just sitting in my office all lonely while we checked out the FiOS stuff. The new media guide is Ok but the wife and I were experiencing Tivo withdrawal. I tried to connect my Tivo s2 to the standard stb and it worked fine after doing the tivo setup and (lengthy) re-load. Told the Tivo setup that I had cable only and it listed Verizon fios as a provider. Now Tivo controls the fios stb via ir. The fios on-demand is still controlled via the stb.

Tonight, I'll swap the fios dvr in the family room with the Tivo/stb from my office.
    Hopefully the wife will stop throwing things at me.

One minor point - now I'll need to solve the dual-tuner feature by upgrading my Tivo. Also considering downgrading the fios dvr to a default stb and do my dvr thing on my PC (all-in-wonder tv card). That's 2 points but hey.
    -later -jeff

8. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I have FIOS and a single tuner S2 using a STB, how can I upgrade to a dual tuner and have it work with FIOS? Isn't there only one cable input on the dual tuner S2?

Is there any way I can use a cable box and a direct cable input for a dual tuner S2. What I would like to do is use one tuner for the set top box, and the other tuner for direct cable input. This of course would require separate channel listings for each tuner. Is there any way to do this, or am I looking at upgrading to a S3 and using a cable card?

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Frankly, it is not really worth it to upgrade to an S2DT for FIOS, since they usually have a rather small analog lineup. It is better to upgrade to a TiVoHD or Series 3, since you can get the full digital FIOS lineup (that cablecards can get anyways) on dual tuners.

You can hook up direct cable and cable to a Series 2 with FIOS though.

10. billboard_NE

May 18, 2005

So I could hook up a set top box, and a direct cable to a dual tuner s2 Tivo? I can live with the limited analog channels with FIOS, it is usually just a major Network conflict that I have.

How does Tivo deal with two different channel line ups?

11. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    Yes, you can do that. In fact, that's how it *usually* works - and how we have it set up in our bedroom. The box is one 'tuner' and the other is analog out of the wall.

(if you don't have a box then it can also split the analog signal internally and tune to two separate channels).

As far as the two lineups, each channel is listed twice under 'Channels I Receiver' - once as 'cable' (meaning analog) and once as 'box'. All the analog channels are clicked as 'cable' by default, and TiVo knows that means either tuner can view it, while the 'box' channels can only be tuned to on the box.

Some people double-select the lower channels as both 'box' and 'cable', but that actually seems to cause some problems with the 9.1 update, and isn't needed. A channel clicked as 'cable', TiVo knows either tuner can view it.

12. billboard_NE

May 18, 2005
    Thank You to all above, This answers my questions on the dual tuner box. My 4 year old S2 140 hour is starting to pixalise, I know the hard drive is no on borrowed time. Looking at my next option.

I think I will look at a Big Lots for a dual tuner and bump up the drive.

13. Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
    If you have lifetime service on your S2 then this may be on option for you.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=369625