Tivo Files Transferred To Laptop No Longer Work On Windows Media Player?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Snowball3, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Snowball3

Snowball3 Member

Oct 4, 2018

Advertisements

My laptop has always been able to play tivo files (shows or movies transferred from my tivo to computer) on windows media player. Then within the past year something happened and it will no longer recognize or play the tivo files when it had always worked before. Someone suggested using codec. I am not really sure how that works. I did download something someone suggested but it made the videos all blurry . I could hear but barely see the video. Does anyone know how to fix windows media player so it will play tivo files. The windows media player plays other files fine including other video files. If you could help I would greatly appreciate it !

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What did you use to download them? Suggest that you use KMTTG, as it can convert/decrypt those .Tivo files to MPEG.

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    On Windows 10, it worked for me to download and install TiVo Desktop (whether then using it or not--you also, after installing, can do a partial removal). Apparently, this sets the Windows registry so as to make WMP playing of .tivo files possible. Note that I did this after first having installed the shareware K-Lite Codec pack (I used the Standard), which I had understood was necessary for the installation of the proper codec for playback.

(Note that the certificates in TiVo Desktop are out-of-date; if you want to actually otherwise use TiVo Desktop, you can substitute up-to-date certificates. "Now Playing List Not Available")

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Yeah, W10 did break something with playback of .tivo files - Twice. I remember having to fight this and installing new codecs too, and then a later update screwed it up again. I do not remember the exact details, and I totally quit watching any of those files on my computer other than to edit and convert them with VRD.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008

Advertisements

You may have to reset your MAK in TiVo Desktop. Almost all of the major Windows 10 updates break it. I think Dan203 has a standalone tool to set the MAK in his pyTivo Desktop.

6. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    I just rerun the patch for TiVo Desktop 2.8.3 and that works every time.
    This assumes you already have the software installed and patched on your PC.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  7. Snowball3

Snowball3 Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Hello, and thank you all for your help and suggestions. I used to use Tivo desk top which worked fine until about 6 months ago. Then it would no longer sync with my tivo. So I switched to kmttg. With kmttg it does convert the .tivo files into .ts files which work fine with my windows media player. I was just worried that because they had to decrypt them that they may also downgrade the quality or perhaps present some sort of sync issues with the video and audio not lining up? I am not sure if that is accurate though can someone maybe answer that?

Also I tried it again. With Tivo desk top and Kmttg already on my computer. (I am unable to find the old tivo desk top download online so I am hesitant to delete it). I went to the k-lite codec pack. I went to standard. I downloaded mirror 1. I went through the whole install. But it still made things blurry and without audio. Maybe I am doing something wrong in how I install codec though? Once I download it what else am I suppose to do to make sure that the windows media player has been updated?

I re-entered the MAK key but it didn't change things?

What is "the patch for TiVo Desktop 2.8.3 " and where can I find or run it?

Lol I sure hope .ts files are just the same as .tivo files in quality it will probably save me a lot of headache. Thank you all for helping me out on this!

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Desktop/TiVo To Go Patch!

9. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    If you install TiVo Desktop 2.8.3, run the patch, and update the certificates, the software works fine.
    See @Mikeguy's Posts #3 and #8.

I usually use kmttg for TiVo2PC and TiVo Desktop for PC2Tivo.
    I also have pyTivo installed which can do both. But the other programs work better for me.

kpeters59 likes this.