.tivo files not playing in Windows Media Player 12 - simple fix anyone?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Canadian Eh!, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh! New Member

May 24, 2018
    Greetings from The Great White North!
    Please help!
    I have read HOURS of suggestions on the TIVO Forum, from the most complicated 'programmer' fixes to some very simple ones and nothing seems to work. I have a Series 2 (our only option in Canada) and Windows Media Player (WMP) used to play them fine. Many past suggestions appear to be obsolete (pertain to past OS or program versions. And the options must be FREE! The options should not include having to 'decode' or 'convert' .tivo files (my brain will simply explode). The simplest fix appears to be adding the missing Codec (using that word may make it sound like I understand what I am saying - do not believe it! ;0)
    So here are the deets:
    Tivo Series 2 DVR
    Windows 7 64 bit PC/laptop
    Tivo Desktop
    .tivo files (think 1T worth)
    WMP 12
    Error message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file... blah blah blah...might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I JUST WANT TO PLAY MY OLD RECORDINGS!!!! <--- picture of grown adult throwing full blown tantrum!!!

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If it's a Series 2 and your PC is on Windows 7 the possibilities are pretty limited. Either you don't have an MPEG-2 codec installed or you need an AC3 codec for audio. The Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) or the K-Lite codec pack should solve the MPEG-2 issue and AC3Filter will solve the audio.

Windows 7 only had MPEG-2 codecs if it's Pro or Home Premium. Other versions didn't include MPEG-2 because Microsoft got sick of paying royalties.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The freeware K-Lite Codec Pack added to your PC should provide what you need for Windows Media Player.

Download K-Lite Codec Pack Mega

I know that you don't want to hear it, but: if you use freeware pyTivo Desktop to download a copy of your TiVo box shows to your PC, you simply need to check one box, the "Tivolibre decrypt" option on the first pyTivo Desktop Settings tab, and your shows will be decoded automatically as they download to your PC, to universal .mpeg files, making the files even more accessible. I promise that your head will not explode.

pyTivo Desktop

(And again, although you don't want to hear it: you also can very easily decode .tivo files on your PC after a download has occurred, simply by using freeware TiVo Decoder GUI on them--works like a charm and easily and quickly, again giving you mpeg copies of the files. TiVo Decoder GUI - Just another WordPress site - GmonWeb)

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Decoding/Decrypting is not as hard as you may think. It simply removes that Tivo encryption layer and allows it to be played anywhere.

Tivo Desktop allows your computer that it is installed on to play those .Tivo files. If you were able to play it with Tivo Desktop installed previously, you might try uninstalling it and reinstall or repair. Tivo has ended support for Tivo Desktop months ago.

I had stopped using Tivo Desktop due to it refusing to run suddenly. I have since moved to KMTTG (download, decrypt) and PyTivo (more complicated by your accounts)

With KMTTG, just select the shows to download, decrypt and it does it all on its own. No typing and setup is pretty easy.

You may need to install the codec as indicated by the others as well, but it would be a one time event.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Try re-installing TiVo Desktop.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Have you done the 'Certificate' update for Desktop?

I'm not 100% that's involved at all, but if it hasn't been considered, maybe it ought to be...

-KP

7. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The expired certificate doesn't affect the decryption layer in TiVo Desktop.

8. BilliJoe

BilliJoe Been around the block a few times

Oct 2, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Before reinstalling TiVo Desktop, just re-enter your TiVo MAK (Media Access Key) in TiVo Desktop.
    Sometimes Windows updates do something with that registry entry and re-entering your MAK will fix it.
    The two binary keys are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\SharingKeys, TiVoToGo Media and TiVoToGo Metadata