Tivo File on PC Best to Basic Quality

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by sghogan, Feb 5, 2006.

1. sghogan

sghogan New Member

Mar 21, 2002

Advertisements

I have started saving programs to my PC for archiving and also to watch on my Wi-Fi connected Laptop. The files are being saved on my home "server".
    All of my planed recordings are in Basic mode and they play fine on my Wi-Fi connected Laptop.
    Sometimes I record something that I am watching and of course in records in Best.
    When I watch a Best recording the network can't keep up with the bitrate and it studders. Media player doesn't appear to buffer (When I pause transfer stops).
    Is there a utility that will convert Best to Basic. (Bitrates appear to be about 5.8 and 1.477 mbps). I checked into Videoredo but it doesn't convert.
    I really don't want to transfer the recording to the Laptop to watch.
    Or is there a player that will buffer. (Real does not appear to buffer either)
    I would prefer to convert since that will also save HD space.

2. merrickw

merrickw Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Manhattan
    For a good player for streaming content (and all other formats) I would say VideoLAN VLC player is your best shot.

To change the quality/bitrate of the file you could try VirtualDub, choose Full Processing under Video, choose MPEG2 under compression, and set a lower bitrate. (I'm not an expert, but I think that's the general idea).

You can find these program links, discussions, and guides at www.videohelp.com.

Regards,
    MW

3. sghogan

sghogan New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    I installed Virtualdub. I can select Full Processing but I don't see a way to select MPEG2 or a bitrate.
    I installed Virtualdub-MPEG2 1.6.11

Is that the correct version?

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I just looked on the same screen in VirtualDubMod, but I also don't see MPEG2 as a choice. I am also a VirtualDub noob. :)

If you are going to go through the trouble of converting. Why not convert to MPEG4 format; DivX for example? That will save you a lot more disk space.

DivX Converter is a snap to use. They are developing a free Dr. DivX 2 as well.

http://labs.divx.com/

5. sghogan

sghogan New Member

Mar 21, 2002

Advertisements

My main objective is to archive on my PC from Tivo and then at some point be able to replay on Tivo. I make DVD's when needed directly from Tivo on a DVD recorder.
    I assume that MPEG4 won't play on Tivo

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Yes, they won't play without yet another conversion.

7. merrickw

merrickw Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Manhattan
    You're right. I don't see an mpeg2 option under compression either. I encode to DivX, which is a much smaller file than mpeg2. Many DVD players now play DivX.

You may need a tool like TMPGENC Xpress or Mainconcept MPEG encoder to create MPEG2.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=621

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Mainconcept_MPEG_Encoder

8. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  9. sghogan

sghogan New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    My initial test says that Videora will work great. Lots of choices for MBPS
    Thanks