TiVo FCC OTE Equipment Authorization Search

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Aug 13, 2011.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I was trying to search the FCC filings to see if anything was being tested by the FCC (i.e., the Elite, Premiere-Q, or Preview). I used this article as a reference --> http://gizmodo.com/347821/how-to-discover-secret-gadgets-through-the-fcc

When I search for TiVo Inc. I only found ten listings. I coudn't even find the TiVo Premiere. The most recent filing was for the TiVo Slide Remote. What am I missing? Grantee code for TiVo appears to be TGN.

Search link is here --> https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

Anyone have some experience doing this?

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It doesn't look like that is for hardware, but more things like wifi/bluetooth devices. Unless I missed a link, all the TiVo ones are the remote with bluetooth adapter or the wifi adapters.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Mostly they only issue, or at least publish, entries for equipment which contains intentional radio emitters, such as wireless adapters.

4. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Thanks. That explains it. Maybe that's the reason TiVo leaves wireless out of their boxes!

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is purely cost why TiVo omits wireless.

The OET system allows information to be witheld from public access, for the purpose of protecting trade secrets.

6. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes. ;)

The points above are valid - that particular search is for equipment/capabilities that requires authorization. Such as the Slide remote that transmits wirelessly. But there's more to it than that... for example, I never was able to turn up the Best Buy TiVo TV because it's not actually manufactured by Best Buy, Insignia, or TiVo. As far as tracking down the Q/Elite, CableLabs will also hold back info on request, even more broadly than the FCC, and I haven't seen these pop up yet. However, we know RCN has units in the lab.